So sick of this!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had constipation issues for the last 25 years whereas I only went maybe once a week. Then it got to a point where I was relying on exlax. I'd take three exlax twice a week, then I would go. Then it got to the point where that stopped working. I was miserable, bloated and eventually compacted. Last year I found this tea called dieters green to try to lose weight, and low and behold, it made me go. I finally emptied. I had a cup of tea every night and every morning I had a BM. I lost weight and thanked God every single day for that tea. It was truly a life changer! It worked for a year, and now I'm right back where I started. I really want to cry! I had no idea it would eventually stop working. I'm at my wits end and I just can't keep doing this. I have had small bm's maybe once a week but haven't felt empty for over a month. I would appreciate any suggestions.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary43772

I to have had this problem all my life [ i am a healthy 58 year old ] lots of surgery as well. I did not want to rely on laxitives because at the end of the day eventualy makes the problem much worse.

I have done lots and lots of research into natural ways to help my bowel work properly without stimulants.

Recently i discovered a formular that helps me, it is a combination of soaked chia seeds slippery elm powder inulin and kifir. All these needed to be research as to how and when you take it. If you look up [link removed by forum moderator] blog it tells you all about Mucilaginous foods.

It is so interesting about how these foods help with bowel movements, these really have helped me. I hope this will help you as this problem can dominate your life.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Really sorry to hear about your 25 years of constipation. Also how upsetting that you found a couple of products that really helped you then stopped working after a while. No wonder you want to cry. I would too.

Where are you? I'm in the UK..

My bowel movements were as regular as clockwork till two weeks ago when I turned 60 years old. It was round about then that I noticed my BMs were like rabbit droppings. Three or four days later it dawned on me that I had not had a proper BM for several days. Very unlike me. I also noticed that my urge sensation had gone. I thought constipation was when you felt the urge to go but couldn't produce anything. Or is not having any urge part of it too? Anyway a week Monday ago I spoke to the Doc and she said to go to the Chemist. They told me to use lactulose. I had already started that on the Sunday I told them. They said it takes a few days to take effect. So I went to Boots and got some suppositories. Got them home and tried them. Yes they worked but even at that they didn't completely empty my bowel. I am wondering if I should have waited longer till going to the loo and thinking I probably didn't give it long enough to completely empty my bowel. Tried the lactulose for several days and the suppositories too during last week. Still not fully emptied my bowel. Anyway by the weekend a bit of sensation was coming back so I went to the loo every morning since Sunday. However what I produce is nowhere near as much as I usually do. So I saw the Doc on Monday. Finger up my bum. All ok. Feeling my stomach. No comments. Upshot is she prescribed me with Movicol. Also got to have blood tests next week as she thinks it might be a thyroid problem but also admitted it was unlikely. So I have taken one sachet of Movicol since Monday. That's 3 sachets. Still not had a full BM. Trouble is I daren't go far whilst using the Movicol as Im expecting a sudden urge to go to the loo any time so want to be fairly near a vacant loo. I know 2 weeks is nothing compared to 25 years and I really feel for you. But part of my problem is health anxiety so probably I am panicking more than needs be.

If you are in the UK, have you tried glycerol suppositories or Dulcolax suppositories? They are new I believe. I'm using Movicol sachets. Or how about Fibregel.

Really sorry you are having to go through all this. I'm just hoping my problem clears up soon using the Movicol. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.