so so tired of it all

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all my first entry so please bare with.Im a 39 year old man and have been suffering with anxiety disorders for 20 years now mainly in silence all started with a panic attack in back of cramped car which realy knocked me for six as i didnt know what it was have continued to have these ever since maybe not full blown ones but shortness of breath and racing pulse are a regular thing ,also seem to have developed agorphobia and have always seemed to have socailanxiety .plucked up all my courage to see a therapist last year which helped to a point but waned off a bit.Think what makes it worse now is my kids are 19 and 17 now and i always thought i had to be strong for them and not show weakness but they dont need me as much now.Also depression has creeped up and taken hold,i wake up and realy dont want to be here.Realy sorry to waffle on ........is there anything the doctor could give me, thinking of going but realy embarrassed by it.So thats basically it if anyone could give me some advice i would realy appreciate it

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey man im going through it as well i have depression and anxiety i used to be a out going guy now i find myself just don't like doing all the normal things i used too its crazy i felt like you embarrassed and felt less of a man but you know what everyone needs help sometimes i have a wife and kids rangeing from age 5months 8 and 11 sometimes i don't even feel like messing with them i went to the doctor today to get lab work done and its getting so bad that im going to see a mental health doctor well what im trying to say is stay strong and please find help and there is medicine you can take but you have to talk to a doctor well good luck..
  • Posted

Hello. I have suffered from GAD, PTSD, some depression for the last 16 years.  I know how you feel.  I recommend maybe going to your doctor to rule out any physiological illness, possible thyroid disorder, deficiencies in vitamin D, etc.  While you are at your visit consider medication.  I have been on SSRI for 16 years, started a new one last month, seems to be working.  I hope you find something helps. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Thyroid thats it thats what i told the doctor that's probably why im feelin not normal but i know u depression and anxiety so hopefully my lab test tells something
  • Posted

Hi tom. You poor thing! 20 years?? I've had it 5-6 weeks and can sympathise with you.

It's so hard. If your gp is good, go and chat with them.

Mine has been awesome. She has advised me and helped greatly. I saw her today for a review on my meds. I am on fluoxetine 20mg per day for anxiety but the also work for depression although I'm not depressed.

They worked after week 3, but struggled last week. Was told to persevere as this is normal.

She's increased them to 40mg per day and will review me start of march X

I would recommend meds to help balance you out. It's quality of life mate

And your kids will always need you 😀

Thinking of starting a group meeting in the pub locally to share hints and tips and of course share wine lol

• Posted

Ive dealth with it for 27years and counting. Its been on and off. You do need to check your hormone levels and such with an endocrinologist. You mentioned therapy but you really need edmr, or cbt. You need to properly learn how to breathe whilst emptying your mind. Meditations are all over the net. You need to be here. You are an integral part of your families life. The pain you can thrust upon your kids, even as they are older is tremendous so you need to hang in there. Nothing at all to be embarrassed about. This whole anxiety thing is a dysfunction and for whatever reason the fight or flight mechanism is dysfunctiinal and you must learn every tool to be able to manually calm yourself. Thats the key. Understanding all this is the key, the funny thing with this mess is if you didnt fear the reaction it calms down, much easier said then done. Stop hating yourself for this situation, you didnt ask for it, it is what it is. Try to live in the moment. Dont look back, do not look to the future..just stay in the moment. Keep busy, get projects to do keep your mind strong. If you can work out a bit daily, even a treadmill or elliptical. Excersise does wonders for the body. If your diet is poor..slowly fix it. Junk foods, processed foods and caffiene or alcohol will mess you up. Saying all that see what the endocrinologist has to say. The whole knock kneed thing is all hyperventalating..shallow breathing. This whole mess can cause depression but if you really understand all the anxiety and the science of it it wil make you realize the more you fear, the more anxiety rules you form to "protect" yourself the worse it gets. If you feel social anxiety is getting out of hand they have support groups and groups to attend..that has to be faced head on. When in a situation that triggers it do not leave. Stay there until it calms down. Belly breathe with inhale stomach exoands and exhale stomach flattens. Breathe slowly and do not allow one thought in. That is mindfullness breathing.You can do this, you have been doing it and you should be proud of yourself every day. No joke these anxiety attacks are really rough to have and would bring someone without it to their knees. You are a lot stronger then you relaize.
    • Posted

I feel really weak like its hard to get out of bed and my appetite comes and goes is this symptoms of anxiety?
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your advice have found it realy helpful. I was just wandering what a endocrinologist is
    • Posted

They examine your entire endocrine system. All hormonal levels, ones you probably dont know exist. Its very imortant.
  • Posted

hi

​possible help with this could be propranolol, rather than go down the ssri route just yet, prop should cure your adrenalyn rush and any headaches you may get.nothing to be embarrased about, i have cried many times in front of my doc when i was ill and i'm much older than you.never hold it inside it doesn;t help at all, good luck

• Posted

Many thanks to all, will definately see my doctor this week dontfeel as nervous now. Sometimes i think im the only one going through something like this because its so consuming

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.