So tired after total knee replacement

Posted , 158 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone else just feels so tired.. I am 6 weeks today post op .the op went well and I am progressing well. But I am just so tired. How is everyone else feeling ? 

23 likes, 349 replies

349 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam - I was hoping the tiredness would disappear quicker than you are experiencing!  It's such an all-enveloping tiredness for me.  Maybe it will get better soon smile x
  • Posted

8 weeks and still get tired. Not as tired. Op made me anemic and been on iron. U probably do not sleep well. That contributes to the tired as well. it gets better.

• Posted

So glad to be able to share -seems the preop info on this side of the ocean is just as lacking - am at the 3 week stage and going through similar experiences - so won't apologize for heading to my room for a rest !
  • Edited

Tired and no sleep is part of the deal. Like pain, it is guaranteed. But, it gets better. Everyone different, for me big changes were at the 4 and 8 week marks. It is 10 tomorrow, but had bilateral.
    • Posted

Hi. I had bilateral also. Can't sleep either, hence my response at 2:00 am east coast time. I am 8 weeks post op today. I do agree 8 weeks was a time of improvement...though my left knee is a slower healer than my right and it is more painful. Oh well, take care. Tomorrow I am going for deep tissue massage on my legs again, which has seemed to help. Has anyone else done this
    • Posted

This may be a dupe. In East Coast of US as well. My PT person does deep tissue and it is great. No sleeping got better at 8weeks, but have cold now so one or other keeps me up.BBig help for me is stretching. When I started working my quads and hamstrings more, the stiffness got much better. 

If doctors told u how horrible the op really was, there would be no patients. smile

U R  on the mend. I am way better at 10 than 8 weeks with the cold. 

• Posted

Right knee worse than left. Geenerally, it depends on which leg they did 

did more work. My right was horrible. Old athlete. If my right knee was as good as my left, it would be 18 holes tomorrow. 3:54 and up.

• Posted

I hear you! My right feels very good and the left has more soft tissue issues. Hopefully the deep tissue massage will help today.
    • Posted

I will focus on stretching more, thanks! I agree these doctors would have few patieyif people knew what they were going to go through. I m 9 weeks today. Yes it's better in many ways. And I should be more positive (my husband tells me this daily). I can't wait for the day that I say my BTKR was the best thing I ever did!
    • Posted

Recovery is just slow and one has to keep working at it. Letting up or overdoing it will guarantee today's stiffness. Stretch the quad and calves.

plenty pics on the Internet for stretches. My wife gave  me hot stone messages and messages for calves and quads. That was good for 4 weeks. Then, she quit. 

• Edited

AT ONLY 3 1/2 weeks my thoughts go out to you. i am just coming up on 3 months . i sleep in only two blocks in the night, i still have a nap for about an hour each afternoon and hit the hay about 8pm. BUT! Thepain has gone, i climb 20 ft ladders, go up and down stairs without handholds. so all I and Monty Python can say is " look on the bright side" this to shall pass. By the way, i just had my 80TH bday.

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this. I'm 29 and am 7 weeks post op from a TKR on my left knee. It's so frustrating feeling like at my age I should be able to cope better with a surgery like this, but at the end of the day, trauma to the body requires time and the more we listen to our bodies, the better off we'll be. I need to stop assuming I should be somewhere other than where I'm at in the recovery process and pay attention to what my body needs. Afternoon naps and iron pills are on the menu now, so we'll see how that helps things along. OH! I also recently purchased a personal tens unit (stim unit used in PT) for a reasonable price ($60 US) and being able to use that at home has been huge for pain management. I totally recommend it for everyone! Thanks all and hopeful sweet dreams for all of us smile
  • Posted

We R all a bit different. My tired started to ease at  abt 8 weeks. at 12 weeks I am getting like my old self in the sleep dept.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.