So tired and weak after diverticulitis is this normal.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am recovering from a diverticulitis flare. Had to have two rounds of antibiotics. I have days when I don't feel too bad and feel like I am recovering. The next day I'm weak and can barely function. Is this normal.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

To a certain extent, yes that can be normal. The meds themselves can cause an overall weakness..Depending on what they have you on-they can be some strong antibiotics for sure..Also assuming you have had to modify your diet(liquid, to soft, etc), that in itself can cause weakness..Recovering from an infection is taxing and stressful. Don't be afraid to ask your nurses or dr though or even seek a 2nd opinion if you feel it's not normal, no harm in asking and check things out especially if it makes you feel more at ease.

• Posted

Was you in the hospital or you took 14 days of antibiotics straight at home? What ones did you take or able to take and get through full treatment?

• Posted

Yes, I was in the hospital for two days , had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin and was put back in the hospital for five more days until they were sure I'll could take the new med Cefdinir. I was also on Flagel. All together I was on antibiotics for 21 days. I have been off of the meds for 10 days now. I have been eating a soft diet .

• Posted

I was on them for 30 days..2 types too. can't recall their names.. Aughmentin and one other. I had some bad side effects, but I forced my way through it..Wasnt hospitalized, but my infection was stubborn, so took a double round.

• Posted

Yes. The antibiotics took a lot out of you and so did the flare up. Rest when you need it. Be kind to yourself, you've been through a lot.

• Posted

yes, it is normal to feel tired and drained after such an uncomfortable and cramps and pain, . hope you feel better, plenty of liquid, I avoid what i think is difficult to chew and digest as it probably isnt good for the colon.

• Posted

All antibiotics take their toll on our bodies. They're necessary to clear out pockets of bad stuff but they also affect the rest of our guts by killing off much of our microbiome (which is basically billions of good bacteria). Some of the stronger antibiotics also have an undesirable effect on other parts of our bodies and, if you read the list of side effects, they sound very scary!

To help you recover from whatever damage the antibiotics have done you perhaps should take some probiotics - maybe live yoghurt or you can get capsules from health shops. The stay in hospital and the flare will have messed you about as well so it might take you a while to feel back to normal.

Ciprofloxacin has got quite a reputation for upsetting people - how did you know you were having an allergic reaction to it? Was it immediate or did it take a couple of days? Did they warn you not to take any of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics from now on? This is the class of antibiotic that Cipro belongs to, there are 4 other names (e.g. Levofloxacin) but also a lot of generic names so it's easier to remember the class name (fluoroquinolones) that you now have to avoid.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I developed a rash on my hands after about four days. I was also on flagel. I was then put on Avelox which cause flushing. After my fourth trip to the hospital they put me on flagel and crefdinir for 12 days after leaving the hospital. All together I was on antibiotics for 21 days. I have been off meds for 13 days. I am slowly recovering. One day pretty good the next I never know. My back pain is gone but I am having a nagging burning in my lower abdomen. No bloating or fever. Is that part of a normal recovery and trying things I can eat? I am on a soft diet.

• Posted

It can take some weeks for the pain to go as the internal inflammation heals. It took me 4 weeks after my first attack, and over a year with my 6th attack in 2016. Since then, touch wood, just the very occasional niggle.

• Posted

It sounds like what I remember. Going to work and getting so sick I would have to go home and go to bed. The antibiotics are very strong and I think they make you feel bad as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.