SO tired of living like this..Open for suggestions.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Not even half hour ago,I was woken from my sleep from on and off chest pain. It wasn't my usual sharp type of pain I get from GERD and gas,But it was deeper,And just felt awful.

In my sleepy haze I was of course thinking "I'm having a heart attack " but then reasoning kicked (I'm only 21,good health generally ) in and so did the burning sensation. So I'm sitting here at almost four in the morning, Just bummed out I guess. I figured while I'm awak, Trying to get this terrible reflux episode to be over, I'd find a community that could maybe help a GERD newbie out? (:

I had a few questions :

Has anyone had ant success with apple cider vinegar for their reflux? I've bought some,And take s tablespoon in water and it doesn't seem to help, Am I taking to much/little? What worked for you?

That pain in my chest,Does than sound like an esophageal spasm? I've never had one, They sound kind of scary ): Also where is your usual GERD related pains (if you have any) located?

What food should absolutely be avoided? So far I noticed coffee strangely is not good at all.

Thank you everyone for taking the time out to read/reply my post.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

It's not good having gerd, and especially at your age. I'm just out of having anti-reflux surgery and hiatus hernia repair, so I am just finding the freedom of not having any meds or pain associated with gerd. I used to wake up like you sometimes with pain, or regurgitation. I had to stop coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, fatty fried foods and alcohol. I never tried the apple cider vinegar, as I kept to a very strict diet and lifestyle (no food/ drink for 2-3hours before bed, raised bed head etc) and medications which didn't agree a lot of the time! 

Have you been taking any meds for this? and have you had any other investigations done? It really helps to know what you are dealing with, because stress can cause all kinds of problems too! 

My heart palps were caused by my hiatus hernia pressing on my vagus nerve, and fortunately few and far between episodes, but once you know, you can deal with it. Lots of people on here have thought they were having a heart attack the pain is so bad, so you are not alone, but it is very scary when it happens. Used to make me feel dizzy too!

Hope you feel better very soon!

• Posted

There is a reason that it takes 5yrs just to qualify as a doctor, the body is extremly complicated. If you are in the UK we have free helathcare, so tell the professionals and get their opinion.

The only time I have ever had a dr out in the middle of the night was when I had all the symptoms of a heart attack, but it wasn't, it was a major reflux attack.

My GERD pain is at the side, rarely get heartburn which is why a specilaist had to diagnose my condition. Acidic foods set me off or if I go long periods without eating.

Go see a professional

• Posted

Hello Michellee Here's some foods to avoid. Although anything that upsets your stomach you should avoid.

Caffeine, tomatoes, citrrus fruits, milk ,peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate. Alcohol. Caffeine containing foods like coffe, tea and cola. Hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

Yes, I get the worst spasms as well. I never had the burning but horrible chest pains that went on for years. I just recently started Omeprazole and am feeling better now but I always ate healthy so not quite sure why this is happening to me...so frustrating!! Good luck...eat alkaline foods, drink lots of water, and don't eat before three hours of going to bed. The spasms are horrible aren't they. Feels like stabbing and def. a heart attack - very scary! I often wonder if the spasms cause damage to your espohagus  like the burning does.
  • Posted

Michelle - I would research peptic ulcers whilst you wait to see the experts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.