So tired of not being able to sleep in bed

Posted , 14 users are following.

It's 3.48 in the morning and I'm sat on the edge of the bed yet again, trying to take the pressure off my lower back (it's reminiscent of the arthritis pain I had pre op if I was on my back - couldn't tolerate being on my back then either) I've been sleeping in the recliner downstairs for 6 weeks now and wonder if I've slept there too long which is now affecting my ability to sleep in bed. As I sat here I wonder what I should do...stick it out here so I get used to it or go downstairs again ??

I just cannot stay on my back all night, as I am getting lower back which of course is worse on my operated side.

What kind of mattress is more suitable? I've got a posturpaedic but I've got a soft mattress topper and I wonder if I should take this off and just on the mattress itself.

This is so frustrating I feel like crying!!!

Many thanks

Jacqui

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry jacqui that you are having so much discomfort trying to sleep. Which seems pretty common after this surgery. It would be worth a try to take the mattress topper off and see if the more firm support helps you some. For a lot of us just having to sleep on our back is difficult. I am 9 weeks post op and can still barely lay on my sides or stomach because I get pains in the thigh/femur and groin. I also get pain in my back and buttocks but not from the rthr it is because my left is so bad, and I am getting ready to get it done next month. Hope you get this sorted out soon, and that you feel better and are able to get some rest....Hugs...Barb
  • Posted

Hi Jacqui

I had exactly the same issue!

I found that the mattress I was sleeping on was too soft and like you had a memory foam topper on it...

Off came the topper and we swapped the mattress for a firmer one (from another bed), then I put a pillow under my knees!

What a difference! I can now sleep 2-3 hours before waking, then go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours until it's morning.i've learnt also that as long as you are active the single most important exercise is the buttock clench... Keep that going then soon you should be able to progress onto sleeping on your non operated side with a pillow between your legs

Best

Jelboy

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, 

The hospital physio told me I could sleep on my non-operated side (with a pillow between my legs) as soon as i was comfortable to do so.  I think I started around the 4 week mark. 

Sleeping on my back was dreadful due to the back pain and also pressure pain on the back of the heels.  Eventually i sussed that if I set my bed up like a recliner, it was bearable (i.e. more pillows under head/upper back and pillows under legs. 

My matress used to be quite firm but 8 weeks of hauling myself in and out of it has kind of destroyed it... I'm going to treat myself to a new bed and matress smile 

To give you some hope / encouragement.  I was where you were around the 6 week mark. At 10 weeks, my sleep is far from perfect, but I am sleeping for the most part comfortably.  I hope you manage to resolve it. 

David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.