So tired of this pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

back on November 17 th I had surgery on my left shoulder for a rotator cuff tear. That's been a little over 11 months now. The week after having the surgery I went back the Dr. and told him about the paun I am having. His reply was ( There is nothing I can give you and nothing I can do.) The next week I went back and he asked me what I am doing there. I told him that I can't take this pain any longer. Again he told me that there is nothing he can give me or do and that it just takes time. I have been back to this Dr every month and have gotten the same response. I have been through all the physical therapy. I had a second opinion dr in February that said I need additional surgery. workers comp would not let me change Dr's. They sent me to a pain management Dr and he done a nerve conduction test and said that I had nerve damage in my shoulder. The original surgeon said that it's due to the scar tissue and time will work it out. I then had another MRI done in march and it shows that I have a rotator cuff tear still. The Dr said that he just removed bone spurs and shaved the frailing from where the rotator cuff was damaged. And again every month since says that there is nothing he can give me or do. I have raised all kinds of cane and workers comp sent me into another 2nd opinion Dr that is in th same office as the first 2nd opinion Dr was. This Dr also said that I need additional surgery. workers comp sent me back to the original surgeon and he tells me that any additional surgery would make it worse that it's just the scar tissue. He did release me from his care and said that if they can fix my shoulder to drop him a card and referred me to the Dr that said I needed surgery. workers comp finally sent me back to the first second opinion Dr and he wanted to know why I was just now getting back to see him about this. He's not very happy with workers comp for not letting me get treated by him back in February. And said that I will need to have surgery on my shoulder to repair the rotator cuff. Again it's been now over 11 months of having to go through with all the pain and not sleeping. I haven't been working since November and honestly don't know if I still have a job or not. I tried calling my office and emailed them letting them know that I am having to have surgery on my shoulder again and they never answered or got back with me.

I am wondering if I could have a malpractice case against the first surgeon for the way he done with nit repairing the rotator cuff when he done the surgery and for pain and suffering for not treating the pain.

Sorry for being so long with this and thanks for any advice

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm no expert with the legal aspects of this - but did want to reach out and let you know that I am sorry for your suffering. In April '18 I had a left rotator cuff and bicep tenodesis with calcium debridement done on left shoulder and on Oct 1 had the same operation on my right. Neither has been a picnic...but I can honestly say that even the post surgical pain is better than the pain I felt prior to the repairs. I have been blessed to have a phenomenal surgeon and know that makes ALL the difference! In 2006 I had a botched knee sgy....found out post sgy that the surgeon had a reputation for botched surgeries...he told me to "toughen up" and live with it. I went and found another surgeon - highly respected and recommended - who found that the repair was not properly done and had to be revised. Immediately post sgy - felt so much better! Recovery was long and PT grueling - but well worth the time and investment! I share this to encourage you to do whatever it takes to find a reputable surgeon who will use diagnostic tools to determine the best approach and next steps. Don't accept living in pain until every other option has been exhausted. They never truly know the extent of the injuries until they are seeing it firsthand with the scope...but any good surgeon will and should repair what they find when they see it unless there is a medical contraindication. Please hang in there and fight/advocate for yourself. I know it can be exhausting - but well worth the effort if you receive proper medical treatment. And yes - if you are concerned you have been mistreated/misguided, you should reach out to an expert who can give you sound advice. Take Care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.