So tired struggling with work

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey all. I have AF. After months of fighting to start treatment I have been on beta blockers for about 2 months now. They are certainly helping reduce the attacks, but I am so tired. I work at night on a computer taking hundreds of orders over the phone, after a couple of hours work I start to get so tired I can barely keep me eyes open. Its affecting my work and I'm making mistakes. How does everyone else cope? is there a way to keep more alert without drinking caffeine?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was just diagnosed this week and i know i have been very very tired and weak. Don't they have you on blood thinners also? Why would they not start treatment were they not sure if it was AFIB. I am not sure about caffeine because i think that can exacerbate AFIB. Again i am a newbee maybe one of the seasoned AFIBBERS can answer that one. I sympathize with you for sure- that is awful to have to work when you feel so weak and tired. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hi your body will eventually get used to the blockers. It will take time though, you could ask your GP to try a different make, I tried a few before I got mine right.
  • Posted

Caffeine can bring on afib! Are you maybe on too high a dose? If your liver function is at all compromised then the liver does not process drugs as fast as a well performing liver and the levels of the drug can then be higher than they should be.
  • Posted

Hi, how often do you get AF.How long does each episode last.How long have you had it. if you are only taking Beta Blocker that is not a treatment for AF. It merely slows the heart rate down and can make you very tired.

but won't prevent AF

Did you see a Cardiologist?

What was his diagnosis.?

• Posted

I think I posted before, but I have had the same experience with beta blocker, they make me tired and slows my heart rate down so much that it becomes extremely difficult or impossible to exercise or even some activities of daily living. So discussing this with my cardiologist, I decided to focus more on taking Propafenone (antiarrythmic medication), sometimes even before any symptoms arise. These make me tired but usually for a shorter period of time. So i try avoiding beta blockers as much as possible.
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed but Im 39 and at very low risk of complications so no blood thinners. They have told me these are the best ones to be on and i'm on a low does of 1.25mg. Before I started them I was having attacks of up to 5 times a week lasting anything up to 10 hours, I now have only had 1 in the past 2 months.

• Posted

i was diagnosed last week and am on Blood thinner and beta blocker-

i only feel tired if i try to exercise like walk for a time- i am exhausted and have to stop. It is very depressing. Also, felt light headed a few times when standing up after sitting for awhile. 

• Posted

The danger with AFib is that the blood pools in the bottom of your heart where clots can form, flick off , and travel to your hear lungs or brain causing a stroke. while it used to be said if AF lasted more than48 hours you should go to the ER, current research is saying clots can form in just 6 hours and some suggest even faster than that. I would make sure your Dr is keeping up with the latest research. 

Its your life and we only get one of them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.