so upset

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive been on diazepam and nirtrazepam for years,now the dr has told me they are going to reduce them.i begged her not to do this i said i had read that gps should follow goverment guidelines [that i read on here] and use NOT FORCED but she is still going to do it.i feel terrified and very unsettled iv seen a few sites that sell them but dont know if there safe does anyone know

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I absolutely hate doctors that use bully boy tactics!! Patients that have used these type of tablets especially for years should have a choice wether they taper or stick! I can fully understand them taking patients off if there is solid evidence of abusing them but there is a difference between abusing and dependent! I take zopiclone have done for nearly 15 years 15mg nightly and my so called GP wants me off... Ridiculous! Have you tried talking to a different GP? Tapering off these drugs has to be done very slowly so really you will still be on them for a while.

As with buying online I'm not going to lie I have done so but do your homework before you do it as it could be very dangerous!

• Posted

Carol we have replied to you before regarding these drugs.

If that is the decision as your Dr is saying that they want patients off then

they need to supply you with enough to taper off slowly.

DO NOT let them stop you cold turkey.

Long term use of benzodiazapines and Z drugs can cause long term problems.

i know this to be true as i ahve done alot  of research as to what these drugs can do to you.

i am so glad that I  came off mine as i know what they were doing to me and it sure wasnt good.

Doctors have known taht they should only be prescribed short term for many years . Now that they have been told to take patients off they are clueless on how to do it.

There is teh forum that deals with benzos and Z drugs of which i joined as tehre is no help on the NHS.

There are also groups on social media that can help.

i have yet to meet a dr who knows what the best way to come off them.

• Posted

I have been on diazepam 4mg for 40 years, and my Doc asked me to stop, I said no, as I had tried before and after 1 week was a wreck, no more said, but I get the impression something has been found out about long term use, and they are trying to get it stopped, but not telling us why.
    • Posted

hi its abit late now if they are harmful the damage will have been done by now.so whats the point,if someone is still quite young i could understand.what gets me quite angry tho is that alcohol is harmful but nothing is said about that cos there proberbly all sat round drinking it while there making these decisions.
  • Posted

To Carol and Alan it is not too late to come off them.

i know people who have taken them for 30 plus years.

i am in contact with a woman who is in her 70's and took them

for 40 years.

• Posted

Thanks Tootsie 58, but at my age and with other medical problems, I don't need to go through a tapering of period 
    • Posted

i couldnt agree more Alan ive got so many problems and at my age i dont need this.
  • Posted

Alan and  Carol you say you have medical problems. Have you reserarched that there are so many problems that can be caused through taking benzos.
    • Posted

Tootsie58, I'm quite sure my COPD and Angina is not related to Diazepam use, in fact my Doc. yesterday increased them to help my anxiety with these diseases.
    • Posted

Alan that is all they know to do is increase your dose. This is a big mistake

as i found to my cost. Go look aon the forum that i mentioned and i bet

that there are people in teh same boat as yourself.

• Posted

I have every faith in my Doc. Do you not think that after 40 years on 4mg, I am not addicted ? Icouldn't care less being helped by going to 8mg .When you know each and every detail of peoples illnesses , then you can make decisions, when you read them on here, you can only make assumptions .
    • Posted

I appreciate what you are saying. But I trusted my doctor and I then

became tolerant to mine and was told to take more. Which i did and

they still didnt work. That for me was time to come off them.

There is a debate in parliament right now about prescribed drugs.

But the choice is yours as you have said.

• Posted

go to your A&E and tell them you are very anxious feel awfull and want to speak to a dr or the in house gp and psychiatric team, tell them how you feel and ask them to write a letter to your gp explaining how you feel. unfotunately  to see a psychitrist or spychologist with the very ong waiting times this is the only way to get instant access to the psychiatric support team of your local authority. consider giving up or reducing but only at your own pace, some people can reduce or come off quicker than others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.