So when does it start to improve ???

Posted , 16 users are following.

Excuse the exasperated tone but when do things start to improve ? Now a long 14

Week post op and back in work at office job on phased return . One week in work and I feel weak and shattered . Leg aches over

Top of femur at night and keeps me awake . I accidentally slept on my bad side last night and awoke to feel like I was having surgery again ! Scar throbs and stings . Groin aches . I go to work , walk the

Dog, do some housework but nothing like I used to and drive a bit with some assisted shopping ... surely this is not all too much ?

Not sleeping makes you feel worse I know but it aches at night . Now started to get headaches so tested my BP and it was higher than normal .. can constant pain do this ? Worried about the amount of pain killers I still need ... yet surgeon says my x Ray is ' perfect' and ' beautiful '! Waiting for Orthotics appointment but beginning to feel I will be like this forever . Had to cling onto a trolley today with hubby as getting out of car was awful . Am I alone in this at 3 and 1/2 months or are others the same ? And all the 6 month plus hipsters .. can you relate to this ? I just want to know if there is light at the end of the hippy tunnel as I seems to have become stuck mid way ...

😩😢

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hazel, I about the same, had op 22 Sept and still taking painkillers. Can sleep on op side and scar is fine. Went back to work full time last week (mainly office based) and was very tired by Friday. Think moving about more at work helped but thigh felt sore with sitting towards end of day. Legs have started aching more as now doing more after exercises after going to see private physio last week. I feel that things are getting better but very slowly. I want to be better as much as possible for the Spring and longer nights so not worried about having to go to bed earlier while it's dark nights. Get as much rest as you can - things will get better ! 😀👣🐕

• Posted

yes Lisa roll on spring.January is a depressing month anyway..maybe a bit of sunchine on the old hip will work wonders.Just want maybe the odd day pain free kicking in now...seeing podiatrist Weds for heel lift as one leg was  made longer .Seeing surgeon again in March x
  • Posted

Hi, I am the same -  a few weeks after my op I was feeling great. Stopped the painkillers and actually began to walk near normal then the pain came back and I am walking worse than ever. Need a walking stick for short distances but have had to go back to my walker for supermarket shopping or any lengthy walking. The pain is mostly in my groin area and I find the discomfort is much worse after any exercise especially walking. Will I ever get back to norm I ask mhyself??

Regards

• Posted

Ellen

My physio sai any exercise that involves you lifting your leg helps with the groin and it is true.Just stand and lift your bad knee up and hold for 5 seconds repeatedly. My groin pain is receding but the femur and scar pain is predominant know..think the pain likes a jostling place for top dog ! x

• Posted

Hi Hazel how goes it. Don't know about the odd day pain free ?

I have never been totally free of aches and pains. However I am starting to notice for all the aches and pains are still there slowly. Very slowly there are tiny improvements on a daily basis. Still hurts doing certain things but I can stand. Once I'm over the owcher. I can walk without discomfort. Car in and out hurts but with revolving seat it helps.

So another few weeks and hopefully you will also see very small improvements. I really hope so. I'm off to Australia on 22nd next month for a month. Maybe look up Madia as I'm going to Adelaide. Looking forward to some heat but not the long flight.

Big warm hug to your hip xxxxSandra

• Posted

Yes absolutely looking forward to meet you Sandra. I will give

you my fb or home number. Hot weather now today 41C.

Hope you will feel better soon. Big hug Madla ?💗

• Posted

That would be great Madia. Mine is Sandra Scoular previously Follin on Facebook. I will check my privacy settings so you can find me. Xx
    • Posted

Hello Sandra my requests on your fb will be Marie Zivalova , Marie is my midle name , Madla is first but here they use Marie.

Czech Republic used Madla . I hope you feel good and im looking forward to meet you.

Hug Madla ☘

• Posted

Hi Madia. Found you on Facebook and have sent you a friend request. Xx

Hope you are having a good day. X

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this. Could you ask your surgeon for a second opinion? I had a THR in September 2015 and didn't look back. Was walking without stick at 3 weeks and had virtually no pain although some initial discomfort although that's as high as I'd put it. My muscles weren't cut; they were simply stretched during the op and I'm sure that helped. I had lots of exercises to do and did them religiously and also lots of physio. The NHS doesn't provide much physio but if you can afford to pay for some it's really worth it to get those muscles strengthened. But I really would ask another surgeon to look at it. You are entitled to a second opinion.

• Posted

annone

yes been there and done that  2nd opinion and surgeon said my hip is PERFECT! SEe my other post! Admitted one leg a bit longer so seeing podiatrist wednesday and him again in MARCH where I HOPE  I can report less apin to him! x

• Posted

hi hazel, 

I hope you have a better day today, darling ...

it will be going down and up and down for a wee bit longer - 

like said, hip replacement surgery is major and not 'just" a procedure - so much is affected and involved during the healing and recovering time ..

Good thing is that your hardware is perfect and healing beautifully ... 

you are NOT stuck - you are moving forward , albeit slower than you expected -

it is okay .... stop being so harsh to your self and let hazel know how good she is doing ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hazel,

I think the "get better" / "pain from overdoing it" merry-go-round continues, I am 12 months post revision, and have suddenly got a pain in mid upper thigh ... off to see my Physio in a few minutes.  I am considering pilates - but will see what she says first though.

• Posted

Well, that was marvellous.    I was in such pain yesterday and today in the centre of my upper-thigh.  

I walked in with my walking stick, and my Physio said the scar tissue and muscles were very tight.  I walked out without using the stick!

It feels SO much better now.    Sometimes it just needs a bit of massage to help free up the muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.