So, when will this end?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi,

looking for some help and comfort really because I am at a loss in what to do and where to turn.

I have severe M.E. (Housebound) 26yrs, (since I was 18 yrs old) and have fibromyalgia.  And Perimenopause now!

The Perimenopause is making the M.E. worse and I am very unwell with it.

I know a flush is coming because I suddenly get VERY unwell and then it hits.

I am seriously struggling to cope.

Does anyone have any idea how long these flushes last for???

I have heard 10 yrs.

But would love some comments n suggestions.

surely this can't last forever!

HRT patches made me very unwell so too scared to late the HRT tablets.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about how bad you feel. Menopausal symptoms can be transient and last from a short time to a very long time. Some of it depends on your genetics (ask your mom, older sister, grandma, if available), some of it has to do with life style. The triggers for hot flashes are often Caffeine, Smoking, Alcohol, Sugars, Spicy foods and Stress. Try to avoid the triggers and also get in the habit of de-stressing 5 -10 minutes 3 times a day. As far as hormones are concerned, you can find a doctor who would be familiar with bio-identical HRT and try a very low dose. I can give you some resources if you live in the US. 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you that is helpful.

Due to memory n concentration problems I am struggling to read through the online resources.

Will try n find out about bio identical HRT.

I live in the U.K. 

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi sorry to her about your long illness  my daughter as Fibromyalgia  I know what a struggle it is I'm still getting hot flushing after 11 years and I know NHs mother still had them till the day she died at the age of 86 so I'm thinking I will be the same ask your doctor about alternatives to HRT  iv not took anything because it gave me migraines when I tried and a strange trembling feeling so I cope with nothing hope you can. Get some help 

• Posted

Thank you Gillian,

I've never heard of an 86 yr old getting flushes - poor woman!

Hope you don't follow in her shoes.

Think I need to chat to my doctor.

Thanks again 

• Posted

Hi haziej, I also had severe M.E, I say had because I went for therapy which helped me recover and I remained symptom free for 7 years.

During the 7 years I held down a very demanding job as a legal adviser and also  endured all of life's stresses and strains without getting ill

I was very stressed 2 years ago and was also looking after my mum who sadly passed away in January 16. I also went into the peri Meno which was the last straw.

I feel some of the symptoms I had with M.E are similar to the Meno ones

My worst symptoms are severe anxiety, dizziness/ off balance and swaying sensation, migraines (severe) painful stiff neck, calve pain and cramps and loads more

I'm sorry to hear so much of your life has been blighted by M.E but I had Reverse Therapy which I paid for privately

If you read up on it you'll see what it's about.  

I really hope you can find some relief with the M.E which is defo worse during this time of life

Let me know if you get a chance to read about the therapy, it worked brilliantly for me and I would highly recommend it

Lots of love xx

• Posted

HI brendababy,

thank you so much for that - very encouraging!

I have heard of reverse therapy and will definitely try n read up about it.

Unfortunately my concentration n memory are almost non existent.... which is an issue and stopping me finding out about so many things, and why I asked on here. So glad I didn't know the M.E. would probably get worse at this time of life!

It is kinda like what next!

I guess I can look forward to it improving - at some point then!

Thanks again 

• Posted

Hi,

I too and in the UK and have had M.E. since 1992. I started the perimenopause 4 years ago when I was 44. I have never been so ill in my life. It seems to have made all my M.E. symptoms worse. It is a total nightmare. I too am housebound.

If you want to chat, message me.

Sally xx

• Posted

Hi Sally4x,

We seem to be incredibly similar!

If those with M.E. who can work have to give up employment completely due to the menopause, I am not surprised.  Although am hoping I won't be one of them...maybe wishful thinking...

The thought of continuing to get worse I just can't contemplate.

Although once the menopause passes we should get significantly better I presume.  What do you think? Am presuming this won't be permanent.

At times I feel like am heading for a nervous breakdown...and have to dig deep to keep going. 

I had no idea the menopause could cause such havoc with such weird symptoms kicking off in women - and that's the woman who are perfectly healthy!

Am trying to think if I would have appreciated someone warning me that this might happen or not...jury's out!

How have you been today?

• Posted

Hi,

No I don't work. I have not been able to work for years. I know what you mean about feeling you are having a nervous breakdown. Sometimes it all gets too much to cope with.

Today  - I am foggy and exhausted with a headache. The weather has been bad lately which affects me and also this time of year is bad for me because of the lack of light. I hope you are having an ok day.

Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.