So Worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

3 years ago I used to eat massive amounts of chocolate, and I mean massive amounts, I was also drinking 12 units of alcohol every day, along with 2-3 cans of Coca Cola. My cholesterol was extremely high and this doctor prescribed me statins which I did not take because I have read they have serious side effects. This doctor never rang me or followed me up to check I had taken them. Fast forward 3 years I have another doctor and he tells me he does not check cholesterol until you are over 40 years of age.

I know I must look stupid asking 3 years later but I have become extremely health conscious in my life now and I now do not eat any chocolate, I exercise every day, do not drink any Coca Cola and the worst thing I do is drink beer now.

I would just like to please ask you guys if you think my past was the cause of my high cholesterol back then, I also did zero exercise, none at all, the doctor never asked me about my diet or exercise, just prescribed me statins and never followed me up.

I am just getting myself in a complete state of worry that my arteries are clogging up sad I have grown up in those 3 years and now eat healthily and exercise, I just can't get the images of clogged arteries out of my head.

Thank You so much for reading 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If any of that were the caus,and youve changed your life that much,your cholesterol most likely has improved,just my opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Ben - wow, good on you for taking charge of your health diet and exercise. It's hard to break habits.  I wouldn't worry about cholesterol levels if I were you. You can get a check from the doc, but you are doing all the right things and the only thing a doc can/will do is prescribe something. Your diet years ago shouldn't have much impact now - imagine those arteries clean and healthy.

• Posted

Like you I had a poor diet did little exercise I too was prescribed statins I took them for a month but don't like tablets of any form so I decided to change my diet and do regular exercise and my next blood test showed a big improvement in my cholesterol level my Doctor was pleased and told me to carry on taking the statins I informed I only took the first months supply and then stopped and changed my diet and started exercising he was surprised how my cholesterol had dropped and as I said to him to many health professionals reach for the "wonder drug" when simply advising the patient to change their life style is the car better alternative ...

• Posted

Hello, I worked as a nurse in cardiovascular medicine and i know for a fact that although you changed your eating habits and life style you still could have a predisposition to having high cholesterol. Find yourself a new doctor to get it checked. What type of quack doesn't follow up on something you have and doesn't test you? If im worried sick of something my doctor orders the test to check such a simple way to have peace of mind. Find a new doctor!

• Posted

Hi Ben, I faced high cholesterol level 2 years ago. I was asked to take statins by my doctor. But when i heard about its side effects I immediately stopped taking medication. My friends asked me to google for some natural alternative and from there i learnt that you can easily control cholesterol with natural methods such as healthy diet and light workout. I came across Dr. Janet Brill's website in which she recommends to take food rich in soluble fiber such as fruits, salad, oats, etc. daily accompanied with 30 minutes of brisk walk. She is actually a nutrition, health and fitness expert. Do not forget to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily. This routine can help you cut down your cholesterol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.