So worried, can anyone understand ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Pretty sure I've been in peri for few years, hormone tests don't reflect this as I have a mirena coil which they believe blurs the results. Last night I had what I believe to be a anxiety attack as had similar last year.....went to bed after visiting the loo at 2am, had a sharp pain in left shoulder, arm went tingly, pulse was racing, shivering with my teeth chattering madly......When I had this last year I honestly thought I was having a heart attack or stroke, my husband then called an ambulance and after tests they advised severe anxiety attack. Last nights was similar but I made myself realise I wasn't diving....I woke my husband who basically sat with me for over an hour making me breathe through it. I've had stomach pains last 3 days which makes me think it's related to my peri.....I've now got the dead arm aching, strange rushing feeling in my head mainly left side and I feel just plain strange. I'm actually sobbing writing this as it scares me so much when it happens...I feel like I want to just curl up and sleep but the fear of it happening again stops me as it always seems to happen during the night or when I'm laying sleeping....the jolt upright feeling is awful....am I losing the plot or does anyone know what I'm going on about ?!! 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

​You poor thing. Anxiety is the worst thing ever. No matter how much you rationalise it, it's so scary when it happens. The only comfort I can offer is that it's SO common in Peri. You are not going mad, you're not dying, it's just an horrendous symptom of this awful time of life. As cliche as it sounds, relaxation exercises do help. Mindfulness is very good at teaching you to ride the wave of anxiety. Education is also good... get some good books on panic attacks and anxiety. The more you understand what's happening to your body, the less scary it seems when it happens. If it gets unbearable anti depressants can help to take the edge off.

​I wish you well... be comforted by the fact that we have all experienced similar feelings, and you can and will get through this.

Take care Jane

​Anita x

• Posted

Thank you Anita....I can't believe this side effect seems so common on here but when I mentioned it to my gp it's just waved away as stress related! I really tried last night to put myself "in the moment"....by looking for 5 things I could see, hear,touch etc and it did distract me but it's the sudden jolt when I'm asleep that scares me and the numb arm and hand...I've read it's a rush of hormones ? It's hearing from people like you that does make me realise I don't have some life threatening disease - peri obviously makes you prone to exaggeration too I guess haha but god it's scared xx
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

No I don't think you are losing the plot.  Through the last 9 months of peri into menopause and still now that I am post by nearly 4 months, just about everything I had and still can have hits me on the left side and what you explain is what I have felt many times over the last 2 years but I have always found something to be anxious about and the attack was the result of what I was anxious about. Maybe let your dr know what has happened and see what he/she suggests. Mine just said hormonal anxiety when I tried to explain it to her.  It is very scary when it happens.  Try not to let the fear take over cause that will bring on more anxiety.

Hugs

Jo xx

• Posted

Oh Jane 

maybe you need to have the coil removed and use alternative contraception to start with, surely it would help to know that these symptoms are due to the meno/peri-menopause.

and take it from there

this is such an awful time in a woman's life

And thank that wonderful husband of yours for being there for you

one of the things I find the hardest about it all is "I feel so alone"

I have had to call in sick tonight from work because my body aches all over and I'm so low, I love my job but my body is letting me down

Tell your husband you love him and appreciate his help, and stay calm, this will all eventually pass

Mrs M 

• Posted

I know how lucky I am ...bless him ....we have been together 11 years but only married in April this year....i seem to have had so many health issues over the last 5 or 6 years and he did get fed up with it all but since he has seen how scarey it is when I have one of these attacks he has really been trying to support me....my gp seemed to think the mirena coil was actually helping me due to releasing some hormone ...god knows how bad it would be without it then !!! I am in two minds about having it removed but scared that would just be another thing to worry about......the foil was put in due to heavy and erratic periods and has been great in controlling that over the last 11 years.... Poor you, I know what you mean about your body letting you down.....doesn't help that my mum doesn't even remember going through the menopause! I hope you feel better.....thank you for replying ......xx 
  • Posted

My Mum didn't have the same problems as me either

sounds like you should listen to your GP over that coil

Well I really must "get going", the hoouse is like a bombs hit it here

Enjoy the rest of your day wink

• Posted

Hi jane i understand how you are feeling poor thing. I have had a terrible time with anxieties myself, nose bleeds, stomach problems and just not myself. Yes it is scary and it makes me scared of doing things myself or leaving the house. 

You should talk to your doctor about this to see if he can prescribe you some antianxiety medications to keep your anxiety down 

I will keep you in my prayers 

• Posted

Anxiety is hitting all of us i think. I'm 50 very recently had endometrial hyperplasia diagnosed .., following a hysteroscopy & biopsies polyp removed. I don't know if I'm peri but I suspect I am. I've had intermenstral bleeds & pain. I've just had coil fitted to release progesterone into uterus. I've been scared desperate forgetful fatigued etc & definitely many anxiety issues. I work in health/care world have an amazing husband (like you)

But it's all very scary particularly with hyperplasia (mines simple so 1-2% chance of developing cancer) still scary tho.

Apparently I should have had coil when symptoms first occurred I didn't.

You are not alone, believe me. I've heard high praise about coil so I'm hoping it does the job .

Tc (try not to worry)

X

• Posted

Please enlighten me Emily

what are the benefits of having a coil 

I will try anything wink

Mrs M 

• Posted

Hi Jane I believe I'm also peri but results don't show I have had all of the above tonight my left arm is painful from deep inside and feels dead. I've felt not right for over a year now the anxiety attacks have eased up now but I had chattering teeth, uncontrollable jittering legs rushing through my body and full panic attacks, wierd head feelings that I find hard to explain stomach discomfort top right , chest pains , the worst headaches and migraines every day it's never ending I always seem to be worse at night too sometimes I just get on sometimes I cry wondering what happened to me. Your not alone xx
  • Posted

I know hun, it's just awful

and I feel like a hypochondriac !!! redface

not coping with work at all at the moment, I just get so tired and achy all over, from head to toe

it takes me days to recover and analgaesia confused

I am quite tearful at the moment too

oh well may go to zzzzz

Nite hun xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.