so worried that things are normal after anterior repair.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had a anterior cystocele repair 4 weeks ago. Had a virus which caused me to cough for 10 days 2 weeks into my recovery. So worried that I have done any damage, doctor said I won't know until my six weeks follow up. Have lower back and right side pain sometimes like before the op. Also bloating and a strange looking swelling in the vagina that has been there since after the op. Has anyone experienced these problems, driving myself mad wondering if the repairs being a success. Any advice on how soon to start pelvic floor exercises

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I got my friend to look for me after my op and she said I was quite swollen I had both anterior and posterior repair. So maybe the swelling is normal, I'd imagine that's why the doc said you won't know until your six week check up. I got a terrible cough just before my six week check and everything was ok. I know this is not the same but the week after my op I went on a mammies night away (we had a pyjama party) I was sore from laughing was sure I'd damaged myself but all was well
    • Posted

Thats so helpful, maybe worrying for nothing but it's hard not to. Reading all the posts on here does help with the concerns we have. Only 2weeks to my check up, so fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Forgot to say I had great ice packs that are like pads that you can put in your underwear to help. I got mine in either boots or mothercare. They are called femme pads
  • Posted

Maggie:

I had cystocele and rectocele repair almost 4 weeks ago. Felt great up to my 3rd week and then suddenly I have lower back pain and pain on either side of my pelvic bones. Lower pelvic area feels very bloated and I can't fit into any pants except stretchy leggings. The bloating/swelling bothers me the most. I don't have a post-op for 2 more weeks and it is not with the doctor who performed my surgery as she is gone all month!

• Posted

Sounds exactly like my recovery, great up to 3weeks then familiar systems pre op returning. Maybe it's part of the recovery but like you post op is 2 weeks away and lack of information causes you to worry. Have found this website very helpful. Try downloading kegal aerobics recommend by another post on here may help to make the op a success. 

Good luck with the recovery

• Posted

Hi Maggie  I'm now week 11 post op.  Had my follow up appointment with consultant at week 7 + 5 days and he said although i still had stitches i'd healed nicely and was ok to resume normal activities i.e. hoovering, driving, sex (still too scared).  The following week was Christmas and i did quite a bit of cooking and standing and then felt a bit like things had dropped so took a look and saw a bulge.  Was really upset as went through various stages post operatively (4 weeks i was bleeding along the perineum scar and lots of pain trying to do pelvic floor exercises , went to the doctor for this and she said healing takes a long time and 4 weeks too soon, which is what stage your'e at). Saw GP again on week 10 she said too soon to refer back to consultant but to not look or self examination and make another appointment in 6 weeks if need to.  I've read many articles on the internet and a site i came across said that it could feel lumpy and bumpy for up to a year post operatively.  My op was for anterior, posterior and perineum.  It took me a long time (several years) to reach the decision to have op done and do have down times as to success of op.  I guess a lot of it is wait and see and rest when we can.  I'm doing this following Christmas and lucky i don't work and my children are all grown up.  Try not to worry (easier said than done) my GP and other professionals recommend pelvic floor exercises asap if short burst. Hope your pain improves soon, i still having trouble with coccyx pain, although consultant said nothing to do with op.  Good luck, hope i've been helpful.

• Posted

That's so helpful, I guess we expect to much to soon. Nice to know others have the same worries and problems and your not on your own. Like you my recovery has been over Xmas & maybe did more than I should have but I do rest a lot, no hovering  or heavy work. Like you it took a long time to decide to have the op as I had already had an hysterectomy over 2years ago & had read a lot on low success rates. Have downloaded the app kegal aerobics which can help avoid surgery so could be good in helping it to be a success. Take care.
  • Posted

Thanks Maggie:

Sounds like several of us have similiar post op concerns and symptoms. I think having the surgery the week before xmas probably caused me to do more than I should as well. But, then, I felt pretty good then. I am not doing any self examination as I know I will get concerned about whatever I see or don't see. Here in the US, I would like to see better follow up care after leaving the hospital and a 'class" pre-op to explain exactly what to expect post - op, like they did when my husband had knee replacement. It was so informative and therefore he knew exactly what was normal healing and what wasn't. Our surgery is obviously very common and yet we all know so little!

I'm hoping in a few months we are all happy we had this done!

• Posted

Think your wise not to self examine, I have looked in the mirror but unless you know what it should look like post op there really is no point. It is exactly the same here no post op information so have to rely on web sites like this. Hope you have a good result when you go for your check up and hopefully are better informed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.