So worried, ulcers, any ideas please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had reflux for about 3 years, but about 3 months ago i had a really bad flare up leaving me with a pain in my upper chest permantly i think by now it must be an ulcer in my oesphagus, been to the hospital waiting for an endoscope but they could up to 6 weeks, i can't settle because i can't seem to get rid of this ulcer/pain and am sooo worried the damage that it is doing in regards to getting Barretts, has any body got any ideas of how to heal it quicker thats worked,i have tried small meals the usual no fat spicy  softer foods etc, i could cry ( i am on esomeprazole 40mg)

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jules, cannot say how to heal quicker, I wish I knew as could do with a quick fix myself. Have Barretts Oesophagus, 3 cm corrosion, being monitored every two years. Only found out by accident as had the OLD camera down the throat for another medical issue. Glad I did as it helps answer some issues.

Try not to worry, if your in England you can ring up booking office and ask if any cancellations and if you could go on reserve list. Also decide if you want sedation, I did it was great. But then I do not like to know what's going on. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Janet, ahh ((hugs)) i am sorry, i suppose at least they found it for you so they can keep an eye, i am going to phone hospital tomorrow and ask about cancellations,  i phoned my local spire hospital (private) they wanted £1500 + 200 consultaion fees guess i wil be waiting, have you read about the halo proceedure makes interesting reading , I have had an endoscopy before without sedation i was a bit shell shocked lol so might choose to go under this time:-)

• Posted

Please try not to worry. It seems that you are already doing everything sensible by way of diet. I too am on Omeprazole for silent reflux and a couple of years ago had an attack of gastritis for four months and got myself in exactly the same pickle as you. Endoscopy showed no harm done and it eventually subsided on its own. Remember, you don't know you have an ulcer, you just think you do so don't anticipate an unlikely worse case scenario and try to curb the anxiety. This type of chest pain is also a symptom of anxiety by the way. You have an endoscopy in the pipeline so that will reassure you. I know how you feel but please don't worry. 
    • Posted

thank you so much for taking the time to reply , can you tell i have anxiety from my post lol, its so hard because you feel the pain all the time, the brain goes into overdrive, he said they may have to do the ph test after endoscope and so it goes on and on i know there are people on here  with problems millions time worse than mine my heart goes out to any one with these problems such a tough road to go down, glad you managed to get through yours though

• Posted

I recognised your anxiety because I have had Health Anxiety for a few years now and I battle with it often. It's horrible to suffer and I really do understand how you are worrying and probably googling which, incidentally, is NEVER going to reassure you. For every ten positive reassuring things you read you'll find one thing that worries you and you're worse off because you focus on that.  Worry will exacerbate your symptoms and I'm sure you will be fine. Keep up the good work with your diet, drink lots of water, don't Google and expect that you will be fine. It's good to be on top of your health and you are. 

• Posted

I have to laugh in a way, because i have learnt the hard way by googling  i totally agree with you it doesnt really help, my anxiety started when my mum died  very quickly and they had missed things, but i do appreciate your help thank you, gallons of water and soup it is then smile

• Posted

Mine started when my Dad died. I bet your Mum and my Dad would be sad to think we set off down this road.  Take care, you'll be fine. 
    • Posted

((((Hugs)))) indeed they would xxxxxx and thank you again xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Lindsey, just a quick message to let you know they had a cancellation and i had the endoscope today, i couldn't believe it, so the end result is i have a hiatus hernia with no other damage :-) so the consultant said he would ask another consultant do do other 'tests' sorry can't quite remember but they will be in contact, so i am so relieved that one hurdle is over :-)

• Posted

Hi Jules, I have had ulcer pain with 5am vomiting and constant constipation since February 14 and have been on omeprazole with little success. The pain and vomiting goes away for a few weeks (but never  the constipation) and the omeprazole masks the symptoms but then it comes back again and relapses. I have also recently been refused a referral to the gastroenterologist on the basis that it's 'not serious enough to warrant it' !!! I have been trying the cabbage juice treatment since this Monday (4 days so far) with great success, I would highly reccomend it! I borrowed my neighbour's juicer and have been juicing half a white cabbage, 3 or 4 times a day. You can mix it with other juices if you don't like the taste but I quite like it as it is. If you don't have or can't borrow a juicer you can do it in the blender by adding a cup of water, whizzing it up and straining it through a muslin or cheese cloth. It's not half as effective though, and would thoroughly recommend using a proper juicer if you can. I have stopped taking omeprazole and have had no pain, and (sorry if TMI) have actually been able to go to the toilet normally for the first time in MONTHS! :-D And I'm only on day 4. It's recommended to keep going for about 2 weeks, but in the studies they did (see links below) some people were cured after 4 days. I will definitely  carry on to 2 weeks to be on the safe side! If you do this you will also have loads of leftover cabbage pulp, so I have been making sooooo much cabbage based soup! Not as bad as it sounds if you add loads of root veg, salt, pepper, and boil it down so all the flavours mix: hardly tastes of cabbage at all.

Anyway, will stop babbling on now, just wanted to share a positive experience. I have tried so many other things, including bananas, plantains, DGL tablets, fennel tea, manuka honey, and while these all help, they don't seem to fully cure it. The only other thing I can recommend is a high fibre diet. If the pain flares up (esp if your stomach is empty) have a bowl of porridge with a spoonful of honey in it. Works every time. Good luck and if you try this let me know how you get on!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13009468

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the other links as they were to sites unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want these links please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Wilykit104, thank you for taking the time to give me all this information and for being positive, i must admit i did buy a cabbage the other day it is sitting on my kitchen side i keep looking at at it and it keeps looking at me :-) i had read somewhere that it might help but didn't say how much to take, so do you drink one half cabbage 3 times a day or make half a cabbage last for 3 drinks per day - sorry for being a bit slow lol, I am sorry that you have been struggling with the sickness that must just be awful that is one thing i have been lucky with. Thanks for the links - sorry to see one was removed, the remaining one made very interesting reading, looks like me and the cabbage have a date. Unfortunately I can't do the high fibre bit as i am fibre intolerent - another story for another day, i can have small amounts but not masses :-(( but I am sooooo pleased that you seem to have found some relief at last and pray that it may continue and that you have finally found a solution, and i don't think you have babbled, you have been really helpful and i appreciate it xx

• Posted

Hi Jules, the reccomended amount is a 'quart' of cabbage juice a day...this is the American measurement which is just under a litre. Half a large cabbage will yield about 240-300ml of juice, so I juice 1.5 - 2 cabbages a day in total. Sorry to hear your intolerance to fibre, that must be awkward. Hope u have some luck, enjoy your date ;-) xx
    • Posted

Been reading your cabbage juice posts with a bit of interest - and then when you say about fibre - well thats something we have in common - I can't eat oats or bran - make me ill. I used to swear by fresh orange juice and dried apricots if I was feeling a bit slow - but I can't take the orange juice now - as it kills me! Haven't found a replacement cure yet! :-/   xx
    • Posted

Sorry havenn't replied sooner. my fibre intolerance was a lot worse than it is now, at one time i couldn't eat anything with onion in it to which i hadn't realised is in every thing as onion powder , but over time it seems to have healed it self quite a bit - mine was caused by a really stressfull situation at the time over about 3 months, but i am still wary about having excess of anything all in one go, i believe that your stomach is finely tuned instrament and is easily unbalanced, but i do have some good news i have got a cancellation appointment and have to go tomorrow endoscope although now i don't want to lol , anxiety creeping in again, ok about the proceedure but don't want to hear what they find :-( double edged sword

• Posted

Hi Jules,

Just got your note! How did it go today? Have you found out anything? I hope you are ok!

• Posted

Hi Glennie, you beat me to it was going to let you know, thanks for asking, i have a sliding hiatus hernia, no other damage - phew so am being refered to another consultant  for the acid monitoring so one hurdle over :-) overall feel a lot better about things x

• Posted

Hi Jules!

Thats good news - hope you didn't find the experience too unpleasant! I can remember just feeling relief - and if you know what it is - you can deal with it! Good luck with the next appointment! :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.