So you think I could have reinfected myself from having sex too soon with a uti?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I get utis a lot and they usually go away. This time I had one and was only 3 days into the antibiotic macrobid when I had sex. Didn't have many symptoms so thought it was safe. Anyways today I am burning in my urethra but no other symptoms.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’ve done this, not really a great idea. Stay away from sex until done with the round of antibiotics even if you feel like you’re getting better. It’s worth than getting another UTI all over again! 
    • Posted

Thanks! Yeah I feel pretty dumb for doing it. Oh well. Im going to get my urine tested tomorrow so we shall see lol
  • Posted

I was just wondering what they find when they culture your urine? Is it the same bacteria? I have been experiencing urethra pain too. I'm see a urologist Thursday.

• Posted

They didn't tell me unfortunately. Usually mine are ecoli though...hmm. Ive just been having a little achey burn for a few month's now.

• Posted

Regarding the knowledge of some urologists that I have encountered. Some give out info that a man cannot infect his partner.......  A leading evaluating special nurse in A and E said to me when we discussed certain urologists and the above stupidity - she said well how does a patient get sexually transmitted bacterial diseases then?  I am very much of the same opinion as she is and any sensible person who thinks the same........

We have a situation regarding waterworks infections that some of the medical profession do not value seriously enough.

I was told by one of my GP's =stop taking all of your tablets because I had diarrhea. This lasted only three days because I took Metronidazole which stopped the problem. This is sometimes given with other antibiotics as a preventative measure. She retorted C Diff can kill you but UTI's won't !  She did not pay attention to reading my previous medical history regarding the fact that my water works problems could have been caused by tubercular bacteria that can re-emerge years after the primary infection even though as a child I was resistant to that bacteria.......

Did you notice the 'advert' on last episode of Doc Martin when a woman was seriously ill and he

told her it's probably TB -when did you last have that disease===== she replied as a child!

While this situation has not been publicized by a fanfare of trumpets it should be because 10% of the people in this world of ours will have TB re-emerge at sometime in their lifetime even though they were resistant to it when they were first infected.

I feel from experience that doctors are not educated enough to know the above facts but most certainly should be....... They do not like anyone such as I who have studied the insidious effects of certain bacteria by the fact that the info is available to anyone who cares to research that info. In the future this will all come to light when eventually there will be a magic tablet that will kill all of the invaders in the human body...... Research for that tablet is ongoing each and every day. As it is Ciprofloxacin killed off what was infecting me personally but it is injurious to some patients and especially so when they take it as I did full wack for 33 days........

The Urologists who was supposed to be looking after me did not do the prescribing of that AB but one of his young registrars did but not in a strong enough form. when I did get a strong enough and long enough course I was cured.........  The erring urologist retorted to me ='you cannot prove you had an infection'  -----  he was wrong because I have in writing-- calcification's to both lung fields confirm a previous tubercular infection....(1978)........

This confirma for me that they know only what they know.

• Posted

I looked up urethritis and I was wondering if I had that. I going to ask the doctor when I see him. Check that out see if that matches your symptoms. You might need to see a urologist if you haven't already, or maybe mention it to your gynecologist as well see what they think.

• Posted

Out of curiosity what does the burning feeling of uti feel like? 

I never had a uti before so I’m not sure if I’m experincing burning or itching. I feel like it’s more like an intense itch for me when I urinate while on my period. The feeling seems to go away when I’m done, other than that I don’t think I have any other symptoms. I had a urine test last month that came back clear so I want to advoid another if possible.

• Posted

For me the burning of a uti is really strong. And a sharp pain goes through my urethra right when I'm almost done urinating. Uti burning is like a constant achey firey feeling on the urethra. I never usually have an itchy feeling with a uti until the end of the infection when I'm on antibiotics.

• Posted

Take D mannose can’t recommend it enough

Yes that constant burning pain

I have had them for 10 years since menopause been on so many antibiotics I am immune to most now

D mannose is a preventative medication 

And believe me I have tried everything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.