Sober again!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a very bad relapse at the weekend which is disappointing after a good long streak of sober (for me). My partner says he'll leave me if it happens again. He cant cope. I Today I'm sober and starting again. i went sober long enough for the cravings to fade and felt great. I will get back there!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Of course you will ! takes a helluva lot of disipline and good hard talking to yourself. To be honest I think I've had a huge trip up but just seeing it written down has "stablised" me. Just thought really hard about where I'd been before and DO NOT want to go back there . Thank you for replying

• Posted

You can do it. I relapsed and got back into sobriety but it was not easy. Had been sober 5 or 6 months and started to have just the one drink at a birthday party...that led to one more strong 7.5% cider and another...stopped eventually 4 months later and now sober 7 1/2 years. Robin

• Posted

Thank you that's positive to hear. 10 days most I've managed and the longer I stop the worse my relapses. Back in the day I did enjoy a drink but recently started to get nasty!

• Posted

Daisyjo, you might want to look into Naltrexone or Nalmefene (depending on which country you're from). They will help make those relapses shorter and milder.

• Posted

hi Daisyjo

You will get better and its very common to be doing well and then mess up.

Can you think of anything that could have triggered this relapse? Emotions, although not noticed at the time, would often set me back. Arguements or disagreement with OH, anything slightly not the "norm"?

Staying sober to please anyone else is not a good idea imo. You need to be doing it for yourself, as this can cause resentment. My OH used to say the same thing about leaving. However, he would soon forget saying it if he fancied an afternoon or evening session. Half the time i wouldnt want to go as i knew id drink.

I got mixed messages from him, he didnt like me drinking, but would sulk if i didnt go with him. So sometimes i would go and not drink and then be accused of being boring and miserable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.