Social Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

In the last 7 months I have become really self concious with how I look and have started getting really bad anxeity. I am 20 years old and used to be out with my friends every weekend but now I just sit in my room in my own.

When someone try's to have a conversation with me who I don't know I shake and then I think they can tell so it makes me worse. I'd rather avoid going out/going on dates because it's too much stress. It makes me upset when I see all my friends going out and having a good time and I just lie to them and say I have no money and can't come and it brings me to tears.

I can't seem to get out of this rutt and I'm too embarrassed to see a doctor.

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth51595 i just want to say when i was about 20 i used to go out but got struck with social anxiety. Eventually i had to go to the doctors and i went on medication it helped me and i then had my first relationship. I used to sit in my room in a bad way. But i do urge you to see your doctor as they are brilliant and well help you. There is light at the end of the tunnel if you seek help they well proberly give you a therapist and will help you. There are soultions to this problem your not alone there are some lovely people on this forum.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. The reason why I didn't want to see a doctor is because I don't have any reason to be depressed or have anxeity where as some people have real problems that cause them to be like this i.e no family or job but I love my life apart from the anxeity. All my friends have boyfriends and are really confident and thought of me going on a date gives me anxeity. There always telling me I should go on dates with people who ask me but I couldn't think of anything worse. The anxeity always follows me I sometimes hate evening walking in a shop on my own this is why I would rather stay at home.

• Posted

When i first started dating it was horrible i wouldnt even be able to talk to the girl. But after a couple of years of challenging my thoughts when the anxiety comes on its like fight or flight. You do start to relax once you overcome these situations . You can feel liberated. Take it slow when you start dating again. Who no's you may find someone. I wish you luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.