Social anxiety and panic attacks with shaky hands

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been leading a normal life..when i was presenting something infront of my classmates my hands began to shake..i started sweating..shaky voice...i felt like iam going to fall..i felt so embarrassed..i consulted a psychiatrist he suggested 20mg propranolol 2hrs before presentation and 0.25mg clonazepam half an hour before..i havent had a presentation after that..but this week iam having one..so i cant sleep thinking that my hands will shake again..can anybody tell me whether i will be ok even if i think about it?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ann, propanonol is te worse thing u can take. It can ruin ur nervous system even more.

Most of these symptoms are stress and anxiety related. So it's really in ur head even though u are having physical effects.

Take deep breaths, exercise more, eat healthy and free ur mind.

Reading all this should help u already start feeling better.

• Posted

Dear Ann, I don't agree with Kenny, although he may have had an unusual experience. I'm a professional violinist, and used to suffer badly with stage fright. I used propranolol for two auditions and found them life-savers. They slow your heartbeat so that you don't shake and sweat, and can perform. It's best if you can keep them for occasions.Two of my colleagues used them for a while to get over a confidence crisis and it worked. It is a low dose that he's put you on, which is sensible, although you may need to up it. I can't comment on the other drug. I'm now on 80g a day for migraine, and it helps both the migraine and any scary concerts! I wish I didn't have to be on so much (and permanently) but it works. I hope that for you this will be a temporary or occasional thing. One thing - don't go out boozing to celebrate after your next presentation has gone well - propranolol and alcohol don't mix (sorry to be a spoil-sport!) Good Luck, Helen

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I have had terrible anxiety the last four years in relation to presenting and other aspects of life. Went to my GP and explained symptoms etc. He prescribed me to take 80mg prolonged release propranolol as short release capsules would wear off after a while.

However, in relation to presentations, propranolol has been an absolute lifesaver for me. Before I used to freeze, physically couldn't speak, sweat, hands shake etc... Totally embarrassing to me!!

Propranolol got rid of all these side effects, however don't panic if you still get a nervous feeling in your stomach beforehand because that still happens to me. You would still feel nervous but not paralyzing fear!!!

A major piece of advice: deal with the anxiety now before it gets any worse!! I tried to ignore/hide away from it for 3 years before I dealt with it with medication. Meds have helped but do not deal with underlying issues//reasons why the anxiety occurs. About 6 months ago went to a counselor another it and just talking about it to a non judgmental person really helps. Now I can stand up in front of crowds and present and not care about anything!!!

Anyways, in short, yes, it does help, but sort your underlying issues before it develops into a constant behavior that can potentially get worse!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.