Social Anxiety Disorder- advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Well I've been struggling with Social Anxiety for a few years now but thankfully I'm not nearly as bad as before. Before I used to barely be able to leave the house in fear that I may have to communicate with people and just embarrass myself. I was scared to walk into a shop and buy something because I was worried about embarrassing myself and it was horrible. I still struggle with ordering food from restaurants and every time I go somewhere public, I feel physically sick and sometimes I can barely breathe. Even going to relatives houses I can get these kind of symptoms and I know I shouldn't be worried or anxious but I am sad My problem is that I gathered some courage to talk to my parents about it and they don't believe me. They shut me down completely and told me that i should just grow up and do it. But that's easier said than done right? I honestly don't know what to do- my public speaking is just as bad as it usually is and if I'm honest I just want to stay at home and read, but my question is- what should I do now? I want to get help but where do I find it?

Thanks for reading smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? This is very common problem. Have you thought about councillors? 

If you need anything, message me on here or send me a PM.

All the best!

• Posted

16 years old and I've thought about it but I'm just really nervous about speaking to one. Thank you so much smile
    • Posted

Definitely see one, they can really help.

All the best! smile

• Posted

Hello, I would think you could possibly talk to a couselor in your school?  I highly recommend it.  I am sorry you parents are not supportive, thank god schools support children with counselors.  Reach out to them.
    • Posted

I think you replied to the wrong person, I think this was supposed to go to hanna94624
    • Posted

We have a centre at my school that deals with these sorts of things but I've never been brave enough to go and talk to them but I think I can finally go now and talk to them smile thanks for the reply
    • Posted

Your welcome.  I know our minds will tell us ebarrasing things like "Other students will see me in there, blah, blah.  Take heart that you want yourself to feel better!  Remind yourself, "who cares what they think anyways, at least I know when I have a problem, I am being a problem solver!"
  • Posted

I am in the exact same boat. everything you've said is how im feeling. Im 18 years old. I've lost my job because of it and lost motivation. A lot of people don't understand anxiety and many more mental health issues because they have never dealt with it, it's the sad truth. But it doesnt mean you're alone, forums like this, doctors, therapists will help you and guide you. Everyday do something that your afraid of, sounds stupid I know but it helps leave that comfort zone. My boyfriend and family don't get it either, and they don't need to understand it but they need to understand my feelings. I sit at home and read and watch fims at my boyfriends house whilst he works 50 hours a week.. makes me feel guilty.

​But its a working progress. If you wanna talk about it more you can PM me, since we're in the same boat smile

• Posted

Thank you smile yeah I want to gradually build up doing things that I'm afraid of but my parents keep pushing me too far, I know they mean well but like you said they don't understand it. Thank you for replying smile
    • Posted

You are right about doing the things that we fear to extent of course.  I am not saying if your afraid to bungie jump to do it.  I mean being reasonable like going out in public and dealing with anxiety.  Do it in little doses 5 minutes, 10 minutes and build your way up.  You will gain courage over you fears eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.