social anxiety problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have suffered with social anxiety since child, I am 51 and still suffering. I get really anxious going to a social event spending  most evening standing alone as i  can never think of  any thing to say. It has prevented me from having a career as i don't think i would be good at any thing .  I was a childminer for 14 years as i felt it was safe away from people.I find it hard to make friends as i am so quiet . I am desperate to be more out going and have more friends but i just dont know where to start. any ideas of any think that would elp with social probelms?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! I hope i could help but just like you, i am a shy type of person too. Don't know what to say when around people especially during first meetings.

But, though i am quiet at most times, there are these people who are very sociable, who love to talk to just anyone, and that's when i get to meet some friends. smile I hope that you go out once in a while, don't be afraid of anything. Someone out there is just waiting for someone to talk to. I bet you are a good listener. You can start from there....to listen.

• Posted

thank you  for your kind words. i am trying harder to be more social some days better than others.
  • Posted

I am the same age as you. Yes like you a lot of opportunities lost when younger due to social anxiety. Have you talked to your doctor? There are medications that will help. X
    • Posted

thank you for your reply . no i havn,t gone to doctors. trying to avoid i do lots of sports witch does help make me feel better but always on my own 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.