Social Security disability

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is it hard to get social security disability for rhuatoid arthritis? Does anybody know

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ted. If you are under 65 you can make a PIP claim (online claim form). This will enable you to get a mobility car etc. But don't leave it until you are over 65 because it is just classed as age related illness and there is no financial help.

• Posted

You need enhanced rate of pip for to get the car ruth and its not certain your going to get that rate even having RA just my friend also has RA same as myself and went for his pip face to face he was hoping for enhanced rate so he got car to get him about cos of his mobility restrictions but he never got enhanced rate he was hoping for..
    • Posted

I hope he keeps trying because this is a degenerative disease. I made the mistake of not telling them just how bad it is, I concentrated on what I could do rather than what I couldn't. Within six months I was unable to walk anywhere near as much as I could before. By then of course was 65 and not eligible. I have a friend who is nowhere near as bad as me and she gets a mobility car. I think you must not go for an assessment when you feel good.

• Posted

I think you must not go for an assessment when you feel good.

Unfortunately Ruth, I don't think you have a lot of choice if they send for you.

• Posted

9 times out of 10 you will have to attend the thing with RA your always going to have bad days and better days maybe not alot of better days...RA is here to stay once your diagnosed so always tell them the bad days never say you get good ones cos they never last good luck to all and hang in there 👍👍👍

• Posted

You are probably right. Just want people to keep trying on this subject.
  • Posted

If you're here in the states, I'm in the same boat. I have lots of issues, but talk to your doctor(s) and get an attonrney. Everyone says this isn't somethng you do yourself. 

Good Luck.

• Posted

If you can't work you can apply for ESA .You can also apply for PIPS. Hope that helps

• Posted

Which is why I asked if you are in the UK
    • Posted

Hi Ted,

I believe most people on this site are based here in the UK and I for one have no idea how the system works in the US.  Unfortunately I am unable to help, there may be someone on here who can advise you, but you might be better trying to find a similar site in your own country.  Sorry. 

• Posted

Hi Ted

I am also from the US but I like this site---very helpful people on here.   

Regarding soc sec  the only thing I do know is that it is much easier to obtain benefits than in previous years.   Most had to get a lawyer and fight to obtain benefits

Think it will depend on your doctor's report and your degree of disability.  There are measurable factors in RA unlike some conditions like back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression.   In those conditions it is often just the person's word and denials used to be a big problem.    I am retired so already get soc sec since I worked many years and reached benefit age.   Good luck --- I have read that sometimes you need to apply more than once before finally getting appoval but there are lawyers who work with people and help when it is needed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.