SOD after gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone developed SOD after gallbladder removal?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sorry what is sod please

• Posted

Bile is a digestive juice that your liver makes. Your gallbladder stores it. Then it flows into the upper part of your small intestine to help you digest food. At the same time, your pancreas makes juices that are important for digestion. Both bile and your pancreatic juices flow to your small intestine through a common duct that is opened and closed by a round valve. The valve is a muscle called the sphincter of Oddi.

In rare cases, the sphincter of Oddi goes into spasm. It clamps shut and cannot relax. Other times it may be narrowed from previous inflammation. This is called sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD). The condition causes intense belly pain. Your digestive juices back up into your pancreas and into the bile ducts of your liver. Another type of SOD happens when the sphincter of Oddi becomes stiff and narrow. This prevents digestive juices from entering your small intestine.

Healthcare providers aren't sure why SOD happens. But you're most at risk for this condition if you've had your gallbladder removed. If you have had gastric bypass weight-loss surgery, you may also develop it.

• Posted

thank you now i understand im waiting to have my gallbladder removed went in hospital once but they didnt go through with op as my liver was enlarged so what problems to you get from this and is it dangerous ?

• Posted

No, but I have been doing some research on behalf of a friend who has just had a gall bladder removal.

• Posted

Sorry - I'm afraid I don't know. The friend I was researching from did not have an enlarged liver, just a blocked duct which gave her jaundice. She had to wait 2 months to get the all clear before they would operate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.