Sodium/salt effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am curious.. Does anyone else with Sjogren's or SICCA have negative reactions to salty foods?  I have never heard it being mentioned here, but it is something that really affects me (increased dry mouth, bloating, etc).  I can barely eat regular foods anymore without feeling the salt effects...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't say I have a real reaction. However, I don't like the taste of excessively salty foods. I never have, but I find I like salty tastes less as I age. Probably a good thing, as my BP is borderline-high these days! I use minimal salt in cooking and none on the table, and whenever I eat out in a restaurant I feel thirsty for ages afterwards.

The only slightly peculiar thing I've noticed is that combining salt with acidic foods has exacerbated my GERD over the past few years. I've always enjoyed an occasional first course of smoked salmon with all the trimmings - especially plenty of lemon juice - but can no longer eat it without getting terrible chest pain afterwards. It's certainly not the lemon itself, or the fat in the salmon. I've always used a lot of fresh lemon juice in cooking and it never affects me, however fatty the meal it's combined with. I've done various other tests, and it's definitely the combination of salt and acid that sets off the GERD. Weird, I know...

• Posted

I have found that my tongue has gotten very sensitive to certain foods since I started having a really dry mouth. And in my reading I have found that that's not uncommon. However salt has never bothered me in a gastro sense. I hope you get this figured out.

• Posted

I have started noticing an increased sensitivity to anything salty. It DOES increase the dryness (especially of my tongue) but it also seems to accumulate at the back of my mouth, leaving me feeling quite nauseous.

Just one more joy to add to the list!! Drinking water with every mouthful is the only thing that helps me, just slightly.

• Posted

Thats interesting because i am more thirsty after having salty foods but i now tey and keep to a minimum. Find the same response to wine. How about you?
    • Posted

To be honest, I don’t drink alcohol (makes me ill) but I can imagine that it does. 

But like you, I keep salty food to a minimum because it just isn’t worth the discomfort. I have always used salt in cooking and as a condiment but not anymore. I don’t eat gammon or bacon anymore either. 

• Posted

No, Debbie, only salt seems to have this effect on me.  Perhaps it is something additional going on with me, as I seem to be more of an exception than the rule. :-)
  • Posted

YES!!!!!!  I am currently struggling with the same issue and was so relieved to find your forum question.  I have Sjogrens among a list of other issues and have been working with a nutritionist to get some relief and have had struggles.  We where looking for gluten, eggs, red meat etc issues but every time I eat out at a restaurant and follow a strict diet my sjogrens seems to flare and the conclusion I come to is the salt.  Processed foods. pre made foods, restaurant foods seem to have crazy high levels of salt and I react to it every time.  My mouth gets so dry and sore, my teeth hurt, my sinuses hurt, I start aching all over like I have the flu.  It sucks!  Especially when you are out with your family and want to get something to eat and your afraid of the symptoms you know will follow.  I have found if I can eat very bland things when I am out it helps alot.  Stay away from all condiments and marinaded foods.  I eat alot of salad/vegetables and chicken without seasoning, dressing, and little cheese and I can eat at least two meals this way before the symptoms become unbearable.  I guess I am another exception to the rule with you.  Salt is definitely a problem for me and my Sjogrens!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.