Soft/Hard Water!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had Crohn’s for 20 years now. Diagnosis, 1, Stricturing small bowel Crohn’s Disease with minimal colonic involvement.

Hi all, I have been having very loose stools and need to be close to a toilet for 2 years now, but when I go to see family in another part of the country I can go 2 days without needing to go and my stools become solid. until I come home and my loose stools returns again.

So my question is: in my area it has very hard water but when visiting different parts of the Country the water is much softer.

But can it be as simple as that? Any information would be great.

Thanks Twiglet,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you may have a point. I tried looking into this once before! Ihave crohns & live in an area with lovely soft water but my mum's water is extremely hard. When I go to stay with her for a few days my bowel movements are really loose. I struggle enough at home but definitely notice the hard water makes things worse. I never discovered anything about this but I am interested to see other comments.

• Posted

Hi Twiglet

I understand what you are saying, but I believe that it is more a problem of what they put into the water, which is the problem, not necessarily whether the water is hard or soft. I live in an area where the water is very soft  but during the Summer months because we are visited by holiday makers and therefore there is much more water required they feed the supply with a clorine type substance which I cannot tolerate at all, which really goes along with the problems with allergies experenced by Crohns sufferers. It is the immune system which is under pressure with Crohns and lets us all down. I do think you have stumbled on something that will help you and perhaps others but it might be interesting to know exactly what they are putting into the water supply that appears to help you.

and maybe they will discover a good remedy for everyone from this information.

Good for you. I do think it is important to be proactive with your own illness so that you become well-versed and have a good knowledge base.

Best wishes to you

Sheila

• Posted

Hey,

I recently went to see someone who tested for intolerances etc through the use of a computer and acupressure points on my hands and was told that I have a sensitivity to chlorine and as I drink so much tap water the bacteria has caused problems in my gut.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in Sept this year and since seeing this person I now only drink mineral or bottled water to avoid the basteria in the tap water.

I'm not sure if that may be something causing you to be unwell but it's definitely worth trying for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

• Posted

Hi Twiglet, I am on hols at the moment and I have been taking big doses of Imodium to get me through when we go out and about, I have had a couple of days staying in and I haven't taken meds to give my bowel a rest and surprisingly I have gone to the loo less and when I have it's been formed and only gone once a day instead of several times and I've eaten what I've wanted so I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not so can't help you. I have bile salts diarrhoea so shouldn't matter where I am or what I eat. It is nice to have some respite but I'm still cautious when going out.

• Posted

Dear Anna

I have same situation like you. When I am staying at my home I have loss motion, puscell, blood, bloating, rightside lower pain occur but when i move to my aunty which is 400 km away from my home all situation is gone Normal stool no blood no mucus at the first day. Please suggest me reason behind this??? Atmosphere affect or only water affect

• Posted

Dear Twinglet

i have ulcerative colitis and i have same situation like you. because when i am leaving at one place it is good, no colotis symptoms, stool is good but when i was staying at my native place, flare up is occur at that time, bloating and right side lower pain occur

so i have question that any solution or suggestion that can help me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.