SOFT IMMOVABLE PAINLESS lumps behind both ears and RUBBERY MOBILE PAINLESS lymph node under jaw

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 18 years old. I have a soft immovable painless lump behind my right ear (around 1.0 -1.2 cm in diameter) which has not changed in size for 2 months now (I started noticing it on the last week of April). I tried to look into the internet to look into possible treatments. I checked a lot of websites which suggested applying a warm compress for 5-10 minutes. I did what I saw and when I applied warm compress, the lump slightly reduces in size. When the warmth on my neck was gone after applying the compress, the lump just went back to its normal size. I went to the doctor one month (May) after I noticed the lumps. He prescribed me with antibiotics (Amoxiclav) for 1 week yet nothing happened. I wasn't able to go back to the doctor since then. Then during the latter days of May to the earlier days of June, I noticed a very very small squishy lump behind my left ear. It was maybe 0.2 cm in diameter. Around the third week of June, I started noticing that the lump behind my left ear grew bigger at around 0.8 - 1 cm in diameter. It was still painless and it never grew bigger ever since then. Around the second to third week of June, I noticed another lump under my jaw. It was rubbery, painless, and mobile since I can move it around when applying pressure to it. I suspect it to be a lymph node. I need help. Is it something serious or something to be concerned with? Need your answers guys. Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain -_- I'm 28 and have had multiple swollen lymph nodes in my head/neck/jaw area for 8 months now.

It started with one right behind my left ear, hard and painless, not movable. Then slowly more popped up, one on the back of my neck on the right side, one under my chin, one under my jawline. All of them are less than 2cms so my Drs arent concerned. They alctually think the nodes are swelling from some bad acne I had over the last year, or from the dermatitis/dandruff I get on my scalp.

Basically what I can tell u from what I've learned so far.... I've seen my reg Dr, ENT, dermo and an oncologist (i wanted a variety of opinions lol). Things like painful/painless, hard/soft, the number of nodes swollen, that all doesn't matter really. The only thing that matters when it comes to swollen lymph nodes is size. As long as your lymph nodes are under 2-3cm and they aren't golf ball sized then they are considered not worrisome. The oncologist I saw told me even if I have 15 swollen lymph nodes that are there for years, it's not worrisome if they are all normal/small sized (like a pea or kidney bean size).

Do you have any acne issues? Or did u have a cold or something recently that could be causing them to swell? Apparently they can swell from very minor infections or any kind of skin inflammation. People, myself included, always tend to see swollen lymph nodes as a sign of something serious but from what my Drs tell me it could be very minor reasons they swell - just like my facial acne, or they say even a cavity in your tooth could cause them to swell too.

• Posted

Also, the more you touch and poke at them makes them irritated and can cause them to stay chronically swollen! So try not to touch.
    • Posted

I have dandruff problems in my scalp that might be causing them. I'm really concerned about my lymph node below my jaw. It gives me anxiety

• Posted

Same with me, I get dandruff on my scalp and sometimes it gets very itchy and can get raw spots if I scratch too much. I guess that's what my Drs are guessing could be causing the lymph nodes to swell bc apparently any kind of skin inflammation or infection can make them swollen.

• Posted

I have two enlarged lymph nodes under my jaw which iv had 4 ultra sound scans on, however not large enough for any further test, however I can’t stop me self from touching them. They have been swollen for almost 6 months now. It gives me so much anxiety
  • Posted

Lymph nodes have small round "bubbles " in them-follicles.When you apply pressure at them too often they will be "irritated"-turn into germinative follicles that will stay large for a very long time.Generally lymphatic system is very sensitive and lymph nodes can be swollen due to the smallest thing.As @Philly said softness and being moovable is rarely a factor looked by doctors.A size of 2cm and greater should definetly be checked out by a doctor.A size of 1 to 2 cm "counts" as enlarged node.Under 1 cm they are ok.I also have 3 nodes in neck for idk how many years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.