Soft stools for more than a month after travelling in Colombia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

I'm male, 30, and have no pre-existing conditions other than a slightly elevated blood pressure.

I've been having very soft stools since about a month now. Soft, but not liquid as in having diarrhea after having eaten something bad. Also, it happens usually in the mornings after a couple of coffees (it also happens without coffee, but later); I then get a very full feeling in my tummy (and not in the butt/rectum as with the usual diarrhea) and it releases rather explosively on the toilet. But I don't have to rush to the toilet, I can still control it for quite some time.

Sometimes I need to go a second time in the afternoon, sometimes not. Since I don't have to rush to the toilet every half an hour it's not really interfering with my normal life, but I'm starting to get a little concerned now that it has been persisting for about a month now.

Some more background: Due to the start of the Corona crisis, I returned on March 20th from Colombia back to my home Switzerland after having been travelling in Brasil and Colombia for half a year. I know for sure that I already had those symptoms the day I left Colombia and the day before, so they're pretty surely not caused by the Swiss food or climate. I don't remember exactly when the symptoms started, but I surely didn't already have them for weeks back then.

I spent my last days in Colombia in the Tatacoa desert and before that in Salento in the coffee area where I also went to Nevados National Park and climbed up to more than 5000 meters, but didn't experience problems like altitude sickness. In those 6 months in South America I only had some colds, a very light fewer once or twice and sometimes diarrhea, but never lasting long.

In the last couple of weeks, I had some very light symptomes of colds, like sneezing, running nose and sore throats, but no coughing or fever, so I don't think I had the Corona virus.

Since at the moment it's advised only to see doctors in emergencies, I'm asking here what that might be. Could that be a parasite?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

so....long story short.... try probiotics.... order online....

it could be some change of flora in your gut... i would not worry too much.... and soft stool is the best.... not liquid or hard...soft is the best consistency....indicating healthy gut and good liquid intake... while you may be worried i would try diet and see if it changes.... coffee in the morning will make the push for most of us.

just saying....that i will try to stay healthy and boost the probiotics...and see...

• Posted

It could be the beginning of IBS and the sooner you see a doctor the better.

• Posted

It could be IBS. Can you get a virtual or telephone appointment with a doctor to explain the symptoms? You could ask to try some Alverine, it is an antispasmodic and can help with your symptoms if they are IBS. I have kefir yoghurt drinks to help with bloating but if I can't get hold of them I use Alverine. Alverine also can help with loose stools. Have you tried giving up coffee and caffeine for a couple of weeks to see if your symptoms improve? IBS can have triggers and caffeine is a very common one.

• Posted

I would get tested for parasites. Friend of mine went to Haiti and she came back with a parasite. I'd rule it out at least. By the way, as a stay at home mom of 2 little girls and I also homeschool...your life sounds really exciting!! lol Hope you figure out your problem 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.