Solar Keratosis treatment

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just started the treatment with 'Edudix' after a week I had to stop and apply the 'Hydrocortione cream' to calm it down. My skin on my forehead was blistering and sore. After a couple of days I restarted but had to stop again after three days for the same reason.

Waiting now for the skin to calm down so I can restart.

I have to carry this out for a month. Its very embarrising to go out.

I have had the condition for fifteen years now and have tried all sorts of potions including a seaweed potion which started OK but failed in the end.

Will see how it goes and will post results.

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

On the last week now (4th) with three days to go.

I think the worse week was the third, never seem to get there.

Its now very red and sore with scabs all over. First thing in the morning is bad, skin very tight, dry and flakeing.

I sometime get a head acke but its all got to worth it.

• Posted

Finished the treatment at last and after four weeks I looked a mess. After a few days the redness has started to calm down but still a bit sore. Anybody complentating this treatment on a four week basis I would suggest booking some leave from work for the fourth and fifth week at least.

Been trying to stay away from everybody but Sods Law its not always possible.

Will post again the results.

• Posted

Now two weeks after the end of the treatment. I am well pleased, it was worth it. I have skin (although slightly red still but improving) like a baby. In fact I had frown lines on my forehead that I could screw a hat on with but they have now gone. So any ladies out there that will be carrying out the treatment, do your laughter lines at the same time.

• Posted

get your GP to try Soleraze Gel _ more gentle on the skin - or just apply less frequently eg every second or third day

good luck

• Posted

I've stopped the efudix after 3 weeks - just cant believe the mess its made of my forehead. GP reckoned there is infection showing on one place so has given me fucidin anti-biotic cream. I'm trying E45 as a lubricant but interested in Essexeddie's hydrocortisone reference. Is it available over the counter and does it really work? Have avoided grandson's 7th birthday party this weekend in case I scare the kids! Well it is Halloween after all, so perhaps I'll fit in. Just SO sorry I started with the stuff in the first place - from a small Basal Cell Carcinoma hardly noticeable, to a forehead looking like a butchers shop window all because I used this horrible stuff!
  • Posted

I'm afraid it does make a mess as you say but is worth it. I'm surprised you had an infection perhaps you picked something up on your open wounds. When mine was bad I used to stop until it cleared a little then restart but add the time on so it added up to four weeks.

Mine is still quite clear after over four years as I was told by my doctor that it could return. Its a shame that you had to stop as you was nearly there.

I don't know where you are from but I am in the UK. The hydrocortisone cream I obtained from my doctor on prescription, It was such a relief to use, it seems to calm the aggressiveness down straight away and lubricates the area. Well worth using if it gets unbearable.

Best of luck, but keep it up as its well worth it. Get back if you need anymore info.

• Posted

Thanks Essexeddie - I'm just over the bridge in Kent! I'm not sure my GP's diagnosis of infection was correct. I have decided not to do anything - let it remain untreated till my dermatology appointment in 7 days time. I'm just going to go with it and if people dont like what they see then they just look away. My original description that it looked like a baboons arse remains - so be it. VERY encouraged by your history and thank you again for your comments.
  • Posted

I like the reference "like a baboons arse" as its a good comparison. I remember peeling my face off the pillow in the mornings and wishing I had never started the course. But as I said stick with it.

But get yourself some Hydrocortisone cream before you start as a standby. It will be your best friend.

• Posted

I've had SK, for many many years, mostly on my feet and little spots on my legs. It got so that the skin on my feet was like scaly crocodile skin! About 7 or 8 years ago i was was prescribed Edudix, and boy did it get worse before it got better!!! But, it works, I don't think it will ever go away completely but these days the skin looks normal, which is a whole lot better!!! I too was over exposed to sun when I was in my 20's, (now 62) and I advise young people to take much more care than people of my age did! My advice is to stick with it, you will get past the swollen red stage, and it will look sooo much better!
  • Posted

I have been using Efudix for 3 weeks and apart from the keratosis area going red, nothing else has happened. Judging from the experience of others on this forum, I should be experiencing soreness, itching etc.

Does this mean Efudix is not working for me?

• Posted

Some believe that the angrier you get the AKs to go with your Efudix - then, the quicker they respond and fade away - however, we all have lives to lead and it is not practical to go around with second degree burns for most of us - so gentle, reasonable redness is preferable - even if it might take 2 or 3 months to get the full benefit -

so push it to the point of irritation and keep it there for a fews weeks - have a month off - then recommence if needed

• Posted

I am just waiting for the results of a biopsy on a chin blemish. At best it's solar keratosis. At the moment I am walking round with a couple of steri strips covering up the stitches but underneath where it bled a bit you can see what looks like a scab. I look a fright and from what I am reading here and elsewhere it can only get worse! The consultant told me not to worry but he's not the one walking round with a hole in the face. I still don't know how deep it is and have frightened myself silly looking at pics of facial reconstruction on the net - and you can't hide your chin...

I realise it's pathetic to sound so vain. After all health is more important. But I'm 63 and the main thing going for me is that I have always had remarkably good skin for my age.

The consultant has already mentioned the creams so whatever it is, he clearly thinks it needs to come off. I'm educating myself about all the options and of the creams, Solareze may be less vicious. But maybe less effective too.

• Posted

True - Solaraze is milder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.