Solo Home Dialysis Options

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

i live alone. my creatinine is 3.2 with eGFR of 15. im 66 years old and not yet sure whether i would qualify fir a transplant. i have Type II diabetes well controlled (A1C 5.0 without medication of any sort).

i plan do do in home dialysis. (this is not commonly done in the United States at this point but is increasing on frequency.) i will need to do in home dialysis without a care partner.

i know that PD dialysis is likely an option fir me. But i have recently read about the NX Stage One HHD machine. it is supposed to provide an option for solo (or no care provider assistance) home hemodialysis.

have any of you tried this? if do, would you share your experiences? thoughts?

if you haven't tried this, what are your thoughts about solo HHD for someone without a care partner?

thanks,

Marj

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Marj!

Long time I hope you are well, I cant answer your Q but have some good news.

I was ckd 3b at 41% and on 1st Feb this year I started a low carb high fat diet, a bit like keto diet. I cut out sugar completely, in 2 months my egfr has gone up to 56%!!!

My nephrologist is impressed! I just thought I would share as it may help you too!!.

I use Stevia / Erythritol as a sugar substitute if I'm baking, I don't have it any other time, and I now use Almond flour as a flour substitute.

I have to say my energy levels and well being have improved immensely.

Just thought I'd share.

Jane x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.