soluble or non-soluble fiber ????

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been suffering chronic constipation lately I just needed to know in case of constipation should I consume soluble or non soluble fibers ??? 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Flea seed husk (aka sat isabgol) is one of those curious items that works both for diarrhoea and constipation...

It binds for diarrhoea but is slippery, so lubricates naturally and eases bowel movement.

It turns to a jelly as soon as you add water. You could also mix it with yoghurt to make it more palatable.

• Posted

Ah! I knew there was another word for flea seed husk, it's psyllium, psyllium husk.
  • Posted

yes my problem is chronic constipation i keep eating and everything just bulks up and builds in my colon and I just can't get it out and if i try stimulating by a laxative i loose fluids I appreciate all your helpful comments now I keep prune juice in my fridge and I'll try to purchase a suitable fiber that'll just regulate my bowel movement that dosen't have laxative properties....... I'm just hoping that there is no underlying issue that is causing my chronic constipation and it's just a digestive thing 

I've been using lactalose these couple of days and it's good but it's very temporer once stopped i'm back to being constipated

• Posted

What helped me is to drink a big glass of very warm water with honey when I wake up, then eat a fresh apple. I bought soluable acacia senegal fiber, but never use it. I also eat half apple between meals. 
  • Posted

Water, water, water... As for pill form probiotics my doctor says to take atleast 12 billion active cells and refrigerated form, says more potent. On bottle instructions are to take with food and 3 times a day, guessing that means with each meal.  

I assume you are refraining from caffeine and alcohol since they are diuretics? Sounds like you need as much fluid as you can to help out.

maybe look in to aloe juice and exercising?? Staying active as possible.

So sorry you are going through that, it's not fun at all. 

I have to eat more greens for my condition and putting warm sauted veggies over them help give them moisture, helps keep me from feeling like a horse! Ha. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Soluble fiber soaks up water as it passes through your system, which helps bulk up your stool and guard against constipation and diarrhea. It's found naturally in oatmeal, nuts, beans, apples, and blueberries to name a few.  Insoluble fiber is found in the seeds and skins of fruit (so always eat your peels) as well as whole-wheat bread and brown rice. Eating lots of insoluble fiber also helps keeps you regular, and if you do get constipated, adding more of it to your diet can get things moving.  So both are valuable in the natural treatment of constipation.  Most fiber supplements contain both soluble and insoluble fibers.  
  • Posted

Soluble fiber soaks up water as it passes through your system, which helps bulk up your stool and guard against constipation and diarrhea. In fact, most fiber supplements contain mostly soluble fiber.
  • Posted

for two years I ate oatmeal every morning for the fiber (plus both types throughout the day). then one day it got worse and I now think I have gastroparesis which means you have to limit fiber. I take magnesium tauride for my nerves (citrate works for many but not me) and the problem is solved. so it really depends on your cause. I went through warm lemon juice, soup, prune juice etc to end up on magnesium. I'm a different person !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.