Solution to Effexor/venlafaxine withdrawal using fluoxetine/Prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

Trying to get off of venlafaxine was hellish for me. I felt a depression deeper and an anxiety more intense than any I had ever felt before I started taking it. What made it worse is that these feelings were occurring simultaneously (mixed state). It was pure anguish, I couldn't do it. Then, my doctor prescribed Prozac for the withdrawal and it works like a charm. I was originally on 225 mg of venlafaxine and have weaned down to nothing using 20 mg/day for three days then 40 mg on the fourth day. Then, I continue in that manner. That's where I am at this point. I don't plan on stopping the Prozac for quite a while because I know the withdrawal can last months and I don't want to feel that way for even a second. Supposedly, getting off the Prozac is easy/easier.  Hopefully, that helps. I just can't imagine having to go through that for several months.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm currently on day 4 with no venlafaxine, I've shut down and shut everyone out! I'm going nuts and can't control it! Got GP appt Friday, just gotta hang in there and hope he's got a magic pill 😳
    • Posted

Why wait til Friday? There's no reason to suffer any longer. Call your GPs office and tell them you need to go in sooner. A GP may not understand the severity of the symptoms so you may need to impress that upon him. A lot of psychiatrists don't even understand. Talk to him/her about Prozac. Although meds are different for anyone, I would say it's worth a try because it's been a godsend to me. Good luck and hang in there!
    • Posted

I did go to GP on Monday, but he turned out to be the same one that made me feel shit once before, so I walked straight back out, there were no other doctors available 😟
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that but good for you for walking out. You need to find someone who will take the time to do the research or to take your word for how bad it is. I don't know how flexible your health insurance is but don't settle. I really feel for you. I know how bad it is.
    • Posted

Thanks, lucky for me I live in the uk, so nhs funded, unfortunately they're too busy

While I've sat here on my roller coaster ride, I've managed to scratch myself with nail cutters AND found my husband on a sex website all in the space of 30 mins! Maybe I shouldn't be worrying so much about the impact my illness is having on me after all 😏

• Posted

"Maybe I shouldn't be worrying so much about the impact my illness is having on me after all " - what do you mean?
    • Posted

Sorry, meant him,

I was worried about how he was coping but I don't think that is an issue now

• Posted

Oh haha, gotcha. Well, hang in there. Ask about the Prozac if you want, I recommend it. Whatever you choose, I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure it will smile
    • Posted

Do you guys talk much?  I know it's hard.  My husband has been going through hell at work and then comes home to a wife who's a little on the crazy side most days while dealing with the detox from the meds.  Sometimes they don't know what's going on in your head and body.  It's hard not to scream and yell and be so scared, but a calm sit down helps a lot.  Sometimes all you both need is some tenderness.  Hugs go a long way, I've found.  Especially when it seems like he's pushing me away.

For your symptoms, exercise, run, do something that can get that awful feeling on the run.  The brief rush will give you a little break to catch your breath and remind yourself that it's worth it and so are you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.