Some advice needed please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last year in May I had a posterior repair along with a sacro spinous fixation with a long infection filled recovery. In November last year it became apparent that I had quite bad stress incontinence and after tests was referred to a urogynocologist again where he advised I had a very weak bladder neck and would need to repair it but due to endometriosis complications (he wanted to do a laparoscopy to remove an endo mass before doing anything else) I had the lap on the 8th August and am due to see the consultant on the 5th September to discuss either bulking or tape surgery to fix the bladder neck weakness....does anyone have any experiences of this and can anyone recommend a specific surgery?? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had the surgery you mention but I know ladies who have (as a professional) and one lady who is a friend of mine. My friend had the tape surgery and says it has changed her life. She can now play golf without rushing to the loo every 15 minutes and found the recovery straightforward. From what I've heard professionally is that it is very successful. 

• Posted

Thank you matron for replying I think that's the one I'd probably go for just to be able to exercise and laugh without major embarrassment would be great

• Posted

Hi no had tvt done in April along with other things and I have to say my bladder had been marvellous since. I can sneeze cough laugh without any leakage at all. I spent a yrs wearing panty liners for leakage and now I can wear underwear panty liners free!!!! I still get urgency to go pee but have never had any leakage. The dr said it wouldn't fix my urgency. Just the leaks. I wished I'd known about it yrs ago. Recovery from it has been fine too. Good luck. X

• Posted

Thank you for the reply I think that's definitely the way I'm going to go especially if recovery is pretty straightforward as have had a lot of previous surgeries and some difficult recoveries. Thanks again x

• Posted

My friend had tvt alone and her recovery was about 6wks. Because I had other surgeries at same time my recovery has been longer but not had any problems with the tape. X
    • Posted

Hi Matron. Glad to hear your move went well. I have my gynae appt on Wed, and have to decide whether to have the tape repair or just the re repair of rectocele for now. I'm  worried because i'm allergic to polyester,and most other man made fabric and I think I would have a bad reaction if it were used for the op. I mentioned it at last appt with the registrar but he didn't seem too interested apart from saying they don't use natural materials like porcine skin here on the NHS. Must be just this area, (East Midlands,)as I've read posts from others who have had that used. Can he refuse to operate without tape? I really just want him to use the stitching method as previous surgery which Iasted 15 years and healed quickly    Anyway it's the rectocele which is causing problems more than bladder at the moment. I'm not worried about too long a term as I'm 73 now. Don't think I'll be too concerned by the time I'm 90-100! lolwink 

PS, he's not going to do both together according to my GP, two separate surgeries, maybe it's the way he works!rolleyes Pollyanna

• Posted

Hello Pollyanna it's lovely to hear from you and I'm pleased your appointment is almost here. Regarding the porcine, that's used widely in the NHS so it must be your Trust who don't like to use it. 

I think if I were you considering your medical history of the allergy and the success of your previous repair I would have the rectocele repair and request he doesn't bother with the tape. If you have the tape and suffer an allergic reaction believe me you'll know about it and probably be quite ill. You sign the consent form agreeing to what you want and can refuse the tape. If you still have problems after the rectocele repair you can then have further discussions as to what to do next. Hope that helps Pollyanna and good luck for tomorrow. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Matron. Thought you might say that. I'll let you know how appt goes tomorrow. I do have reactions to some things, think I had one to the V shelf pessary a few months ago. I think that was made of some sort of plasticy material and I swelled up badly, it got stuck and doc couldn't get it out! Absolute nightmare and it didn't do what it was supposed to either! Ttfn. xx  rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.