Some advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I had a bilateral tkr 14 weeks ago, all going ok, not straight yet tho, but my problem is my right leg has started to feel funny, not just the knee, the whole leg, it is very achey, feels like it is freezing cold inside also that it weighs a ton, I can't get it comfortable at all I have to keep moving it. I tried to describe it as best I can but it just feels strange. Has anyone else suffered this? Xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I am 15 weeks post op, I have a similar experience. I do not have a lot of pain but I get achey and really uncomfortable. I have real difficulty sleeping and yes my leg feels really heavy. I have just accepted it as part and parcel of this procedure. Some have suggested quinine or ginger ale to help with the restless legs but I think everything else is just something we have to put up with.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, Im also 14 weeks out (only one knee though!) and I totally understand  what youre describing. Its the worst for me when I get up after sitting for any length of time, it feels like a dead weight, and like I'll never get mobile again. It eases off once Ive got moving, but its blooming annoying! And now you mention it, I DID have a short spell when I had to keep moving my leg - I couldnt explain why, I just had to keep shifting it around - didnt last long, thankfully, but Im sure that  something else weird and wonderful will crop up any time soon!

My GP laughed when I described TKR as the gift that just keeps on giving!

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I can relate... 15 weeks post op bilateral total knees. My left leg is my cross to bear. My IT band, where it attaches to the Tibia, is snapping every time i extend it. Needless to say it hurts. I, also, have to move it constantly. If i sleep 3 hours straight, there is cause to celebrate. By the way, they both feel like lead. Not a lot of all in all. I hope it gets better for all of us.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

you symptoms sound a bit concerning and I think you should contact either your surgeons office or your GP and get an urgent Doppler to rule out a deep vein thrombosis.

its possible to be anything but one of the most serious and common complications of TKR  is a DVT and it needs to be ruled out

good luck

• Posted

I also had bilateral replacements 13 weeks ago. I also get that sensation down both legs. If my feet get cold, this ache starts up, all the way up the legs. I fill a hot water bottle & lie down with my feet on it. This's seems to rectify it.  It's winter here in Australia. 
  • Posted

OMG Sandra how weird is this I had left TNR 5.3.15 and apart from chronic stiffness which might be scar tissue was feeling good. Last night got out the bath and I had a dint below my knee??? and a very prominent looking vein???? On showingmy hubby our initial tthought was maybe one of the little veins had collapsed??? ive got up 15 mins ago and my knee is soooo painful but like you I cant describe how???? I can bend it but weight bearing is painful??? The dent has gone??? Whats going on????? Gonna wait til the meds kick in and try walk it out??? Hell yest I felt good today im distraught!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Sandra - maybe it's nerves (which have been traumatised by this op its inevitable) and as they begin to recover they can generate local sensations of both intense burning or freezing! Try massaging with arnica cream/gel and the hot water bottle tip is a good one. Also its a good idea to drink plentyof fluids to enhance blood circulation and lymphatic drainage - this helps all our natural processes of healing speed up.Hope the discomfort goes soon! Just reading blogs on this forum demonstrates how lots of painful and uncomfortable sensations come post op - TKRs are pretty drastic in their impact on us!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.