some advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi for the past 4yrs my wbc has fluctuated between 13 and 15 my doctor never said anything to me now i have moved area and my gp wants to send me to a haemotologist as my wbc is 14.9 neutrophil 9.5 and lymphocite 4.2 i'm 53 and postmenopause suffer anxiety and now i'm totally petrified that something is not right dont know if its my anxiety been feeling lightheaded aches and pains no weight loss anyone else enlighten me what it might be so scared got haemo on 21st january

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy, first of all, don't worry. Your new GP doesn't know you so he is being cautious, which is good.

I can only go by my last bloods & on the printout, it gives me my results & the normal levels. I understand that 'normal' varies between labs

my wbc was 9.9 normal in this lab is 4-11

neutrophil 6.2 normal 1.7 -7.5

lymphocyte 2.9 normal is 1 - 4.5

It could be that your body is fighting an infection, or stress can cause it. Wait until you have seen the Haematologist before you start to worry. I hope he will put your mind at rest.

https://patient.info/health/blood-tests

This page will be useful for you, good luck & let me know how you get on

• Posted

I agree, I wouldn't worry about much. My significant other is 60 years old and for 10 years now, his wbc has been 14.0 with the lab cut off being 10.0. His doctor has explained this is normal. If it was something like cancer, the wbc would be extremely high, not slightly and other symptoms would be present. Some people just naturally have a very active and very good immune system. It's still good that your doctor is going to watch it and make sure that there is nothing wrong.

• Posted

thanks for your reply sweetmelissa its worrying me that its been like this for 4yrs and my new doctor has picked up on it he said its that my neutophils and lymphocites were elevated to which makes me think i have something serious going on like blood cancer or something else i suffer health anxiety also lightheadedness aches and pains headaches which last for a day or to but doc has said this is also menopausal symptoms but i'm thinking the worst senario when my anxiety started i lost over a stone and went down to 10 stone 4 i'm now back to 11 stone just so worrying if its not 1 thing its another really scared

• Posted

That's actually very odd that your neutrophils and lymphocytes are both high at the same time. Naturally, it should be that if one is elevated, than the other will be lowered. Hum, please keep us updated after your appointment, as I'm very curious to see what could be causing this. I don't mean to scare you, as it may be nothing, it's just not normal though. I hope your doctor finds answers..

• Posted

Wendy, please don't worry. It isn't long until you see your Consultant & I hope he will set your mind at rest.

Good luck & do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

thanks mrs mop i are worried tbh never been so worried in my life i have had this for 5 yrs and my doc has not reassured me at all by saying its nothing serious i really dont know what to think my friends and family have told me if it was serious i would have noticed something by now for how long ive had it i really dont know what to think anyore

• Posted

I hope your Haematologist can put your mind at ease when you see him & maybe come up with a suggestion as to what might be causing your problems. I see a lot of different doctors for a condition I have & one of them found that my Vit D levels were too low, 17. She began treating me & when they reached 51, she said she was 'happy'. I told my GP recently, that I have these aches & pains everywhere again & I was convinced my Vit D had dropped again. He said they probably wouldn't allow another blood test because I am being treated. Another Consultant told me that 51 was still too low, as yet, I haven't found out how to raise the level. Nor do I know why it is dropping.

So, Wendy, all I am saying, is, persevere, you will get there!

• Posted

ty mrsmop i try and think positive thoughts but negative ones keep pushing forward like i have bone cancer or leukimia or lymphoma so scary but my hubby told me levels would be a lot higher than i have i will try and stay calm as hard as it is

• Posted

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry even more. Think of it this way... If it was serious, your first doctor would have looked into it and your second doctor would have had you come in right away. Also, being your levels have just very slightly changed, it's most likely not serious. Cancer for instance, would cause your levels to change very high or very low, in a very short amount of time. Like 10.0 to 1000.000 high, not 10.0 to 14.0 high.

• Posted

ty sweetmelissa i suffer health anxiety to so seeing your responce made me freak a bit like saying one should be high and another low not high together like i said earlier i have had fluctuations for 5yrs wbc between 13 and 15 but with neutrophils being 9.5 and lymps4.2 just worries me that i have cancer

• Posted

One more thing that may help make sense of this.. On your blood test, there are Neutrophil % and Abs. Neutrophils , Lymphocyte % and Abs. Lymphocytes. The only ones that matter are the Absolute Neutrophil and Absolute Lymphocyte count. If the high levels are under the % of neuts and lymphs, just ignore them. If the levels are high for the absolute count, that is what doctors look at. Do you have your blood test on you, so you can look and see with Neuts and Lymphs are high?

• Posted

sorry i dont understand about absolute % all i was told by doctor that my wbc was slightly elevated and neutrophils and lymphcocite were raised he never said anything else about absolute how do i find out plz

• Posted

You can always call your doctor office and ask for a copy of your blood test results and go pick them up. By law, they have to give you a copy when you ask. It's always good to keep copies of blood test you have for future reference anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.