Some BP and other drugs increase the effect of Statins

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recent findings in America say that the calcium-channel blockers amlodipine, diltiazem and verapamil have all been shown to increase the effect of lovastatin and simvastatin. Amlodipine increases the effect of both statins by 1.76-fold, while diltiazem increases the effect of lovastatin by 3.6-fold and simvastatin by 3.7-fold, and verapamil increases the effect of simvastatin by 2.5-fold.

Antiarrhythmic drugs amiodarone and dronedarone (Multaq, Sanofi Aventis) also have interactions with lovastatin and simvastatin.  

Sirolimus and tacrolimus increase the effect of various statins by anywhere from twofold to 15-fold, according to the report.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting and something to definitely consider.
    • Posted

I use Google alerts to pick up reports on Statins and that was in this weeks batch. No doubt the media will pick up on it next week.

I was on several of those drugs at the same time as statins three years ago. I had to stop the statins due to muscle pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.