some Fluoxetine questions..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks

I have had chronic depression for many years, but only recently sought help for it. I went to the gp about a year ago, after having a breakdown at work. He put me on Citalopram. I was ok on it, but the side effects werent pleasant...I couldnt sleep, and felt the effects weakening over time, and eventually ended up on 60mg, with much the same results, so decided to try Fluoxetine.

I have been taking it for around five weeks, but I am still having depressive symptoms, namely bad anxiety attacks, feeling down, and have a very short temper. I havent noticed much in the way of side effects, apart from a dry mouth at night, some dizziness, and some persistent headaches.

at the end of the week i have to try and persuade my employers to take me back, or at least negotiate for them to keep my job open even though i wont be getting any sick pay as i have been off for a year.

Does anyone here on fluoxetine manage to work full time? and going from the above would anyone be able to advise whether i should think about upping the dose to 40mg. It doesnt seem to be doing much for me, but i am tired of my head feeling like a chemical waste dump, and am hoping i can get by on a low dose forever maybe.

Ive seen a counsellor, which didnt work out at all well, and have been on a stress management course which helped a little. sorry for rambling on, am just getting scared that this is the second ssri i have been on and im still feeling bad.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi iv been on flu for about 7 weeks now ish i think and yeah i am working full time. at the start it was hell as i felt so sick and weak all the time as i couldnt eat and my attention span is shot to peices with my memory but just having something to get me out of bed made me get up if you know what i mean? i am still tired now as i dont sleep as good as i did but its not too bad. i do get back days and iv taken holidays etc to chill out which is what everyone needs sometimes.

i hope my post kinda helps?

Nicki x

• Posted

Hi Nicki,

thanks for your post, it is a real help. It gives me some hope that i will be able to cope when i go back, as it is a terrifying prospect. It will be good to know that there are others out there managing to get through the day with similar probs. just the idea of getting out of bed every day is difficult at the mo, let alone going to a busy office, with all the horrors that entails.. but maybe it will give me some motivation and routine. thanks so much,

Eifion

• Posted

Hi Eifion,

I am around 3 and half months in and recently started 40mg. It has improved the situation wonderfully so far. And I am also at work, surviving the day to day.

I did a stress management course too last year! I didnt like it much! It didnt help my depression thats for sure!

Hope this SSRI works for you.

• Posted

thanks everyone.

I changed my diet about a week ago, after reading up on reactive hypoglycemia. I feel better now than i ever have in my life, and am hoping to go back to work in about a weeks time. It has had more effect than any of the pills i have been taking

• Posted

thanks everyone.

I changed my diet about a week ago, after reading up on reactive hypoglycemia. I feel better now than i ever have in my life, and am hoping to go back to work in about a weeks time. It has had more effect than any of the pills i have been taking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.