Some form of arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

don't get me wrong I'm happy someone is finally taking me seriously and not looking at me as an age(I'm 29) yes there only looking into my hands atmo but it's finely a good start after 16years of arguing over all the pain im always in . I've got an x-ray coming up up on the 7th of Jan as I've got bone growth on my finger joints And I'm struggling to hold things ie unable to use a knife and fork properly due to the pain and stiffness, both my parents have this and been told its osteoarthritis what's the chances I could also have this? And is there anything I can do in mean time to help make things easier or lessen the pain I'm on alot of meditations for my hips/knees/wrists And back but doesn't help with the pain in my fingers.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are suffering with arthritis at your age toni - it is not unusual of course, but......!!

Fingers are the most difficult to cope with I fear. Hands, knees, ankles etc can be helped by splints or soft padding bandages but fingers? There are, of course , arthritis gloves, but movement is then difficult - grabbing/holding small things,etc.

Pain killers help - but you are SO young! Your parents can probably help out with that one. Warm then cold water may help a little - or little heated beanbags.

Good luck, and all the best, from one of the "oldies".

• Posted

I did not know someone so young can have osteoarthritis. Are they sure it's not rheumatoid arthritis? Are you being treated for inflammation. Such as aspirin, ibuprofen or steroids? I have the boney growth on a couple of my knuckles and I'm told it's from osteoarthritis too. It's a shame you have to wait so long for a simple x-ray. I live in the US and I never wait for an X-ray, but I have to pay for it.

• Posted

I also am sorry you are experiencing arthritis so young, but at least your doctors are dealing with the condition rather than blowing you off, as if 29 year olds could not possibly have arthritis, when they know many young people do get it. However, you do need to find out whether it's osteoarthritis or rheumatoid (RA). Generally, RA attacks both sides of the body. In your case, both hands would be becoming inflamed, painful and disfigured. There are blood tests that provide a fairly reliable way to rule out RA or confirm it, along with imaging. Osteoarthritis can strike just one hand or one leg, etc. It is also more common for older people to develop osteo as it is associated with age related degeneration of the bones and cartilage.However, RA can be more devastating. Either way, arthritis hurts!

I developed osteo in my neck, of all places, in my mid 40s. It has absolutely rearranged my life. I have other cervical spine problems, like bad discs and stenosis. But I knew from a young age I was likely to get arthritis. Both my parents had it (my dad suffered more) and my maternal grandmother basically disintegrated from RA. So heredity is a factor.

Well, best wishes to you. Let us know how you're doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.