some months ago, I haven't slept for like 100hrs, could it be dangerous?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Some months ago, it happened (it doesn't matter why, now I am ok) that I didn't slept for like 4-5 days, 100 hrs I think. I am ok now, but I wonder: can something like this be dangerous, even if done only once? (I am 22, don't know if it matters)

I mean, I usually sleep normally and I don't have any health problems, but could staying awake for that much time have caused some sort of damage to the brain or something? I remember during that period I felt "ok", that is a bit tired (of course!) and confused, but nothing that bad (like when you drink moderately). Thanks for the help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I'm 46 and was up for nearly two months And I can say from experience that it did not damage my brain. If you're concerned about that you should tell your doctor and get reassurance from someone in the medical profession.

?💜?

• Posted

Short answer: the lack of sleep definitely won't have damaged your brain. I'm a former neuro nurse btw.

On the other hand, whatever it was that caused you to stay awake for that long could possibly cause brain damage if repeated too often. Still, I expect you've worked that one out for yourself.

• Posted

Thanks for the answer, and yes, I am pretty sure about what caused it, and I've worked that out like you said!

• Posted

No stop worrying ( I  have asked my nieces husband who is a Dr) it wouldn’t have damaged you in any way but don’t make a habit of it! People can go a long time without sleep but will fall asleep eventually. 
  • Posted

Hi

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and many nights of zero sleep. At first and may still be the case, i thought the lack of sleep was because of upping the Citralopram. Now I'm wondering if it is more work related. The people and work are not a problem so I think it is my head but it's been very hard to get decent sleep. Now I will contracdict what I just wrote by saying I slept over 13 hours on Friday. I'm glad that it says here that people can go a long time without sleep and they will eventually.  I'm hoping that is the case. I don't have health anxiety (I'm fit as a fiddle) and not really any money problems. In my regular thinking, the work is not an issue, but I think somewhere subconsciously I'm having some problems. 

• Posted

Thank you! I also thought I shouldn't worry, but it's best to be sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.