Some of my symptoms don't seem to match those of Lichen Sclerosus...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus but some of my symptoms do not seem to match up...I have white patches, that I treat with steroid cream. However I am having a reccurant problem that just seems to be getting worse where the labia minora/opening/clitorus is very swollen/sore/red and also itchy. The doctors have 'diagnosed' it as thrush many times however I have been treated a lot for this and it does not seem to make a difference. There are no white patches here so I do not know if it is related to the Lichen Sclerosus or not, and therefore I do not know what to apply for some relief. Is anybody having any similar symptoms? 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I have had a biopsy and confirmed my ls. I really have no itching. I have fusing, a heaviness feeling sometimes down there, swollen and red. I also have vitiligo so i am white everywhere down there. I have learned from here that ls seems to be a little different for everyone.

I have also dealt with symptoms of thrush for as long as I can remember but now question if it really was thrush.

• Posted

Sue, the list of symptoms for women with LS is very long, and, therefore, everyone with LS gets something from that long list.  It very much sounds like what you are experiencing is just one of the symptoms of LS, and so I would start treating that whole area with the steroid cream to start to get the swelling and itching down.  If you have been diagnosed with LS, then the doctors should be aware that this is what is causing you these problems, not thrush.
    • Posted

Thanks very much for replying. I have been given some hydrocortisone 1% ointment but have been very cautious about applying it as the doctors were very insistant to only apply it to white areas. Its hard to know whether I am being too cautious! Also I was wondering if others with LS have flare ups at the same time every month. I don't know how to treat the symptoms of the thrush and the LS and even what to do when I am tested positive for the thrush and then have to apply cream for the LS at the same time as everything really hurts and nothing much seems to give me any relief. I constantly get thrush you see, and my diet is really good- gluten, dairy free and low sugar, lots of veg etc. I am finding it helpful reading everyone's posts but this is making me wonder what is going on down there. The gynae was so useless he had to look it up on the internet and then said I didn't need to make another appt and wanted me signed off the list! sad
    • Posted

Oh dear!! I can tell you what I think you should do, but remember I am not a doctor, but I do speak from experience, and from reading other women's posts.Firstly, you have no chance of getting your LS under control when you have raging thrush; nothing will help in my honest opinion.  Not that long ao I  had Vaginal and Oral thrush with active Lichen Sclerosus and Oral Lichen Planus (all at the same time) and I can tell you it was tough!  Lichen Sclerosus and thrush are linked together (if you do some online research you will find a lot on this subject) I am happy to share with you how I approached it, and it was not easy...  I became very strict with everything that I put in my mouth.   I think I had systemic Candida (thrush) which I believe to be very damaging to the body and must be eradicated at all costs.  I figured I could get on top of it in a month through diet and Fluconazole tablets, and I also used Nystatin orally. I bought a pack four over the counter (one tablet) thrush tablets and took one every three days, for a total of  3, some people may need more, again look online and you should find some information on this subject.   I did not just rely on the tablets; I worked hard on my diet because I knew I had a serious problem and I was worried.  Do look online at the problems Candida can cause, it is scary.  I finally got rid of it, and the LS and OLP went soon after, I did lose a little weight, and it took me about a month as I had hoped.  After that, I never ate in the same manner again, I was more conscious of what I was eating.  I often take one thrush tablet every couple of 2 months to keep the thrush away as I have a feeling that women with LS have a propensity to thrush, or, of course, it could be that women with thrush have a propensity to LS!!Once you are on top of the thrush, you should find that treating your LS will become easier, and you will get on top of it quite quickly. 
    • Posted

It is something that I have suspected because every time I eat I get stomach pain and I feel constantly really unwell. I am on anitidine to control acid reflux and have a lot of pain all over and fatigue that I put down to a post viral thing. I suppose candida compromises the immune system and causes loads of problems and the LS is another manifestation of immune system issues but something must be triggering the immune system and I see why you did the diet. I tried sugar free for a few weeks - very hard even though I don't eat much really compared to a lot of people -but I didn't do the anit-fungals at the same time. How long did you keep 100 per cent sugar free- and can you eat more normally now? I will do some research about candida again and I am really very grateful to you for helping me like this as I am desperate to feel well again.
    • Posted

I have some health issues myself and experience with GERD.  GERD can sometimes be due to allergies, Gluten intolerance, Dairy intolerance, Candida or just intolerance to certain foods, which ties in with you feeling sick and constantly unwell, and so I would consider keeping a food diary for a while, (look online for info on how to do this effectively)

I had a terrible time with GERD to the extent that I was also taking tablets and sleeping on one of those hideous wedge pillows.  But, through using my food diary, I discovered some major food problems and was able to stop taking the tablets (which incidentally aren't good for you long term)  I rarely experience GERD but my diet is quite strict because as I said I have other health issues.

I did the sugar free diet intensely for a month, and then continued but not quite as aggressively, but I have to be careful, I have slipped up badly if I over indulge, this happened mainly due to the fact that I found it hard to believe that sugar was the culprit, it is a hard pill to swallow, and everyone is different, experience will show you that.   But, I do believe that you have to go for it initially to get your body back to where it needs to be.  

I know it is hard at first, but you can do it.

• Posted

Ive had 3 different doctors that said the 1 percent wont thin the skin. Hopefully they are right. I can use it as needed. Sometimes though,that iritates me. I use Ointment though,not cream,cream contains alcohol which can irritate more.
    • Posted

I had tremendous trouble with GERD some years ago. Someone told me to use BETAINE HCI. Its a natural product. It helped me so much, I was almost free of GERD for years. I have it more again since I was on antibiotics recently. But I'm taking probiotics to bring that balance back.

I also had someone tell me to get rid of yeast to take a good probiotic twice daily.

Hope this helps. If you want more info on the BETAINE, feel free to ask. It has to be taken with food.

• Posted

Oh dear. I should have read this whole thread before my GERD comments. Im not sure it's relevant to your issue Sue. 😃
    • Posted

I think there was a lady on this forum recently with it and maybe she will read this.
    • Posted

Ok I had a very bad headache for awhile today and it must be at low function tonight😒 Now I see you do have trouble with GERD. Ok I'm signing off this forum till I sleep!! Maybe I can contribute in a more intelligent manner after sleeping! 😔
  • Posted

Sue, the list of symptoms for women with LS is very long, and, therefore, everyone with LS gets something from that long list.  It very much sounds like what you are experiencing is just one of the symptoms of LS, and so I would start treating that whole area with the steroid cream to start to get the swelling and itching down.  If you have been diagnosed with LS, then the doctors should be aware that this is what is causing you these problems and not thrush.
  • Posted

The clitorus area is my most difficult area.  Not easy to undue the 'LS growth'.  At present I'm experimenting with coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil mixed in.  Time will tell whether this does me any good.   
  • Posted

I also had the redness and swelling, so it seems like it's due to LS. As others have commented LS presents itself in many different ways, and it took me a while to understand this myself. I've finally gotten to a stage where I feel like I'm slightly in control of my symptoms and they are certainly better than they were a couple of months ago, thanks to the suggestions on this site. It may be best to try coconut oil on the problem areas that don't have white patches, if you're worried about applying the steroid cream there. 
    • Posted

I use the steroid on the whole outer part of vulva
    • Posted

Yeah I use it on the whole area as well, not too much of  the cream though, just a tiny amount 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.