Some pain, some bleeding

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm 70 yrs old and 12 days since my turp surgery.  Spent one night in the hospital with a cath that was removed the next morning before leaving the hospital.   At times my urine is almost clear and other times it looks a dark pink.  Sometimes a few drops of what looks like blood when finishing up.  Most times a burning pain at the begining and end of urniation.  No sex yet, haven't tried, haven't wanted to.  I still get up frequently during the night and go allot during the day.  I think most of that it due to the massive amount of water I drink.  Was told to drink lots of water to keep things flushed out, it works.  Before turp it was very hard for me to pee at night and if I had been sitting too long, I don't have that problem now and the stream is way better than it was prior to turp.  I do tend to drip before and after urination, I do wear protection (depends) so not to soil my clothes.  So far I am happy I had the procedure, hope I still feel that way months from now.  I see the Doc in 18 days, I hope all is going as it should.

1 like, 203 replies

Report / Delete

203 Replies

Next
  • Posted

12 days is a very short time. I had my Holep 6 weeks ago and i now feel almost in control again. I usually sleep through the night now i have reduced my water intake to normal. So be patient and wait for things to improve, which i hope they will.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How much are you drinking ? When I told my Uro that I was drinking 3 litres a day he said that was too much. Though I suppose if you lived in a hot climate that would be a reasonable ammount. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Joe is wise to drink plenty.  I found after my Holep if I didn't keep drinking a bit each time i got up to pee at night, it became ultra-painful to pee, instead of just somewhat painful.  Only for the first 2 weeks though, then the pain stopped quite suddenly.  You are peeing through a cut urethra - it was cut to get at the prostate - and strong urine hurts more.  3 litres does sound maybe a little too much, but drinking plenty is also vital to prevent infection - it means infection can't take hold.  I don't think 3 litres would do any harm, if feel overdoing it, have a little marmite on toast to keep the salt up (that, salt, is the thing that can become a problem for those drinking too much, mainly an issue when people feel they have to drink tonnes of water when running in the heat, and actually overdo it ...)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Our American readers may find Marmite difficult to get. Another benefit of it is that it keeps mosquitos away from you. I took it for a couple of weeks but decided that I would sooner be bitten:-)

It is a very aquired taste.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So far so good. Nothing unusual. Just keep us posted. I am 6 months after TURP and would like to compare...I am 76 and I suspect my age got in the way. You are younger, in your case the results may be better than for me, which I wish you. I don't have urine retention, but developed incontinence at night. All the best Zdzislaw

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So far no incontinence, I go frequently through the day and night but I drink alot after every go.  I hope you nightly incontinence doesn't continue, good luck to you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Should see blood for 4 to 6 weeks or so. It will stop. Clots, tissue, scabs. All normal. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you all for the good wishes, I'm sure things will improve as time goes on.  What I'm am feeling is probably normal.  Have not measured how much water I have been drinking, I may come close to the three litres a day.  I'll start keeping track this evening and report back tomorrow evening.  It does keep me in the bathroom every 45 minutes or so, sometimes sooner.  I live in central Texas USA, cool this time of year so heat is not an issue.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up