Some questions about living after gallbladder removal..

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had gallbladder removal laparoscopic on February 6th after months of attack’s and pain.One day I just called 911 the pain was so bad and lasted all night.The hospital did a ultrasound scan and found I had a 5mm gallstone and 2 polyps.They suggested I remove it they said it was very sick.I was just so relieved they found out what was causing me the extreme pain.After surgery I was in so much pain I couldn’t stop screaming they found out my bile duct was nicked during surgery and I was leaking bile into my abdominal cavity outside my stomach.They had to place a stent plastic on my bile duct.Then go into another surgery to wash and place a drain.It was so traumatic..I’m

Now depressed..I’m only 25 year old female and 110 pounds.Has anyone has a similar experience?How long until I can eat normal ..I’m starving on a low fat diet.The surgeon said in a couple of weeks my bile duct would heal and push out the stent into my stomach and then I would pass it in my stool.Its so scary to think about having a foreign object inside me...anyways when can I start to eat normal? When I eat I have pain and the next day I’m constipated and on the John all day...Anyone else had a nicked bile duct it’s very rare occurrence..I know 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Poor thing! You HAVE been through a trauma. I've got a stent as well, but they're removing it via ERCP on the 21st. I don't like the idea of having it either, but I know it's keeping that bile duct nice and open, which is what we want. smile Mine wasn't because I had mine nicked but because I had stones in my duct. 

Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids and higher fiber foods to help with constipation. A gentle stool softener or laxative shouldn't be harmful either. I had a problem with constipation after surgery, which is very normal, but I incorporated things like fruit, prunes, shredded wheat, etc. into my diet and made sure I was drinking enough.

You WILL get through this! I know it's been scary and hard, but you're on the other side of it now. Give yourself time to heal, and that means mentally too.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply!

Why is your stent getting removed? How long have you had your stent in?

• Posted

It's been in since the day after my surgery, so February 13th. From what I've read, some doctors remove  them and some doctors say they'll just pass through your bowels so they don't need to be removed. I asked my surgeon, and he said sometimes they'll actually go in to take it out and not be able to find it because it's been passed already. I SO wish I didn't need yet another procedure done, but oh well. 

• Posted

Hmm I wonder if I should do a follow up to ask if mine needs to be removed..Gosh now I’m nervous too.Im sorry you have to go through another procedure.
  • Posted

Rachael, so sorry you have been through so much. I’m a little confused how the common bile duct is going to push the stent into your stomach. First how will it get to your stomach and second what is going to cause it to be pushed out. If it does come out it is going straight into your small intestines. Have they already  have they already pulled your drain? When we performed a lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones, we would put a stent (double J)with one end in the kidney and another up the ureter to the kidney involved so the stone fragments could 
    • Posted

They told me it will fall into my stomach and I would poop it out?That the scar tissue would pop it off after it’s healed?I don’t know I’m kinda freaking out to be honest.
  • Posted

Rachael, so sorry you have been through so much. I’m a little confused how the common bile duct is going to push the stent into your stomach. First how will it get to your stomach and second what is going to cause it to be pushed out. If it does come out it is going straight into your small intestines. Have they already  have they already pulled your drain? When we performed a lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones, we would put a stent (double J)with one end in the kidney and another up the ureter to the kidney involved so the stone fragments could pass easier. But there was a string attached to the end in the bladder and we could use a cystoscope in the office and pull it out. No need to be in the hospital or be put to sleep. I think I would be changing doctors or at least go for a second opinion. It is mandatory that you drink iced tea, hot tea, coffee, no sodas and only skim milk with cereal or cooking. I must have eaten 10 boxes of graham crackers, jello, fat free/sugar free with fruit in it and Jello Instant pudding, again fat free/sugar free made with skim milk for almost 10 weeks. Try and eat 6 small meals and don’t let your tummy get empty. 

It has been 6 months since I had my surgery and everyday I can eat a few new foods at a time but there are days I eat and run to the bathroom.  Please be very careful with

• Posted

Did it again. Just don’t let you mind play games with you. You are going to get better it may just take a little longer than you thought. One day I just cried all day I was so miserable  Next morning I decided I wasted a day for no reason and I wasn’t going to do it again. Don’t know what your weather is like but try to just sit outside and get some fresh air if it is just for 5 minutes. But sweetie there are a whole lot of us going through the same things with this surgery. But you will feel better and don’t be scared. Please feel free to contact me any time you have a question or just need to vent or talk. Just another thought. Have your doctor do an abdominal ultrasound 
    • Posted

Hi Wanda

I'm just wondering why you say its mandatory to eat and drink the things you listed?

I went back to a normal diet literally as soon as I'd had the darn thing removed something I hadn't been able to do for over 2 years.

My surgeons advice was to eat normally right away, increase fruit and vegetable intake, keep a food diary and if I had reaction to a food to try small amounts of it often and train my system to accept it. It was good advice for me at least the only reaction I've had has been to very high sugar.

Best Wishes smile

• Posted

Said it was mandatory to force fluids, ie iced tea, hot tea, soda juice, water Gatorade. Ecause it is very easy to get dehydrated. My surgeon had a packet prepared of what it was safe to have after surgery Ashe didn’t want me to have any fat. I was on liquids got 48 hours after surgery. I’ve never known of any doctor or any one going back to a regular diet immediately after surgery. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Maybe this just varies surgeon to surgeon or country to country or something I'm in the UK.

I actually did start right after surgery on coming round from the anaesthetic I first had a glass of orange juice which stayed down after which I had 3 cups of mocha and a chicken salad sandwich with mayo and 2 shortbread biscuits given by the hospital while waiting for discharge. I was released 3 hours after my operation.

My surgeons opinion was to start from day one getting my body to accept a normal diet which is what I did. And it has worked for me I eat a totally normal diet for me including fats and dairy I also include a lot of vegetables and only eat seeded brown bread. I gave up eating red meat probably 10 years or more ago and I don't drink alcohol so those would not be in a normal diet for me.

The only intolerance I have is apparently boiled sweets or maybe it was just the amount of boiled sweets I ate in one go, probably a bit silly, but hindsight is 20/20 smile Terrible pain for about 8 hours! 2 days after my op.

After 2+ years of eating pretty much only brown bread tuna and yogurt it's good to be able to eat food I want to eat again and not having to take anti sick, pain killers or stomach liner medication 24/7. The only thing I take now are peppermint oil capsules daily.

Not to say I don't have the odd bloat or niggle here and there but certainly nothing to complain about compared to how ill I became pre op.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Just going to add here for anyone in the UK wondering how I got fancy coffee and shortbread out of the NHS smile

Through NHS Choices I had my operation in a private hospital paid for by the NHS.

Basically anyone can choose where to have treatment and if a private hospital offers the service you need to NHS patients you can choose to have the operation or treatment there.

The NHS by agreement with the private hospital then pays what the operation or treatment would cost the NHS if it was done in an NHS hospital. In theory it eases the burden on the NHS,helps reduce overall waiting times and the cost is the same. Hope I've explained that in a way that makes sense.

• Posted

I’m so jealous. It’s been 6 months and my diet is still VERY limited. I’ve spoken to my internist and he reminded me before surgery that most everyone will react differently to the surgery. The fact that I waited 7 years to have mine removed and that it was rotten when he finally got it out, that could explain part of it. I also have had GERD for many years, I don’t eat like I should (because it made my gut hurt), my bloods were low and 2weeks before I had to have 2 IV infusions of iron 2 a week apart right before my surgery. Basically I was a train wreck going into the surgery. Someone mentioned to me to try peppermint oil capsules, that they really helped your tummy. 

I ask ask my surgeon if I would have been given the same diet restrictions I’d I hadn’t been a disaster at the time of surgery and he said yes, the diet was standard protocol for most all general surgeons in the US. Like you said things apparently different in the UK and the US are different. I just happy you have done so very well. 🙏

• Posted

So sorry you've had such a terrible time Wanda sad

And yes we are all different from symptoms, the diet we can tolerate to issues after surgery.

I'm surprised at the difference in advice given to us and the big variation in protocol between our countries though.

I do hope things improve for you very soon! Best Wishes smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.