some questions for those who have had MUA

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI All,

I've asked some questions before on this subject but I am now scheduled to have an MUA on wednesday, Aug 26th. For any of you who have had this procedure - what can expect in terms of pain and swelling afterwards? (same as original surgery - likely less due to the fact that they are not cutting anything) .... and ability to bend afterwards ... I am supposed to go back to physio on Monday, Aug 31st ... should I expect to be able to do more or will the swelling inhibit that? what about walking around ... were you able to get around as well as before or did this set you back a bit ... wondering do I get my husband to bring the walker with him when he comes to pick me up or will cane suffice? I am not staying in overnight - just a day procedure and no CPM machine (per the physician) ... any additional thoughts .... please share

thanks .... Donna

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well I have mentioned before in forum I had first knee op in 2011 and twice manipulated , both times, woke with  no pain and walked out unaided and all good,   So I had good experience I hope you do to. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie .... fingers crossed. I am ready for some good news with this whole thing.
  • Posted

Hi Donna

I've had 2 MUAs.  Much less pain than the actual operation and didn't take any meds after the last one.  Your knee should be straight and bend well.  I was put straight on a CPM machine.

take your crutches with you, as you will be expected to walk, as well as exercise.  You should start to make good progress after this.

Patsy

• Posted

Thanks Patsy, I'll take my cane and if that is not enough - the hubbie can push me in a wheelchair smile .... I am SO ready to be making some real progress.
  • Posted

Donna

Hi I was wondering how much longer after your tkr did u have the Mua and how r u now

Was your bend bad?

My first tkr was in April and second in June

My bend is terrible on both but no one has mentioned Mua

Should I ask about it?

Hope all is going well with others

• Posted

Hi Diana,

I had my TKR on June 17th, so I was exactly 10 weeks. My bend was at about 90 degrees but wasn't moving at all. it was my physio who brought it up .... not sure his motives at the time (seemed to be stats - his - to me), but my surgeon agreed. They were able to get 135 degrees in the operating room and I am going for an assessment by another PT this morning .... muscles are very sore as you can imagine, which will impact how much I can bend it. I think I would ask about it if I were you - it really removed that cement block feeling from around the knee and - this may seem funny - put me more 'in touch' with the knee - I can feel it better now.  Good Luck Dianna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.