some questions regarding grave meds, acetyl l-carinitine and pregnancy

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi everyone, 

I have been symptomatic for a year and have been diagnosed w graves about 2 months ago. bad timing as I was looking to get pregnant w/ #2.

so everything has been put on hold as i try to stabilize my values

I was taking methimazole and atenolol for the first 2 months. dr is switching to me PTU so that I can hopefully start trying for ababy in a the near future.

my questions is can i take acetyl l carinitine while taking ptu? if i get pregnant can i take this as well along w my meds?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I really don't have the answer to that one.  I would call a company that manufactures it and ask to speak to the Medical Director.  I know that they have a Medical Director for the company that manufactures Alcar (brand name for their Acetyl-L-Carnitine).  If it were me though, I would not want to risk taking it while pregnant.  I would want to get my disease into remission first including lowering of antibodies before I attempted pregnancy.

• Posted

thanks linda! 

yes, thats the plan to lower my antibodies before TTC.

I was just curious. so glad i found this group!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.