Some success stories please!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!

So it's likely that the folks that are 'well' and free from anxiety depression have moved on with life. However, I would love it if people could share thier stories of success!! 

Since starting citalopram I've realised anxiety and depression is more common than I thought and certainly something I shouldn't be ashamed of! 

Sharing your stories will give us some 'newbies' a much needed boost!! 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am a newbie myself, only been taking citalopram for the last 8 weeks (i think).  I think the theraputic effect has kicked in now.  My depression is lifted and i don't have much anxiety, occasional bouts which are far far weaker than before.  I am pleased so far.  Like the lights have gone on again!
    • Posted

I'm just into week 5, most side effects have gone apart from nausea and shakiness. Does the crappy morning feeling lift in time?? My appetite is rubbish too.  
    • Posted

I do still feel foggy in the mornings but once i get up and ready it goes.  My appetite is back but still needs to improve a bit. Overall though, i am feeling much better. I didn't fully realise how depressed and anxious i was, I could have got help far sooner. One side effect i still seem to have is my short term memory is a bit rubbish. Good luck on your journey!
  • Posted

i have written a lot of things under 'coming off citalopram' many of which are very positive. I have been on Citalopram for 18 months, never went above 20mg per day, and have taken on a whole lot of things I would not have done before I used the Citalopram to give me a break from the crippling anxiety that was badly effecting my life. I have also taken care to use other strategies, such as mindfulness, budhist philosophy and a 12 step programme all of which have fed me ways to live with a far from perfect life in a far from perfect world surrounded by far from perfect people. i am not coming off and will keep you posted. I feel i was never depressed, but merely exhausted from anxiety and in many ways responding naturally to the stress and alienation that we are beginning to take for granted within westernised overdeveloped nations, which make us feel very scared if we are bit thin skinned, aware and concerned for humanity and our surroundings. But it was not good to be in a place of crippling fear and over concern, so I've got a leg up by using the drug. I have achieved an Access to Higher Learning Course with OCN, and was awarded 500 pounds for my achievements and dealing with my triple disabilities, and I have just completed a year at university, despite the tutors and the institution being so utterly crap, I have been able to stay with it and make decisions calmly and over time, something i couldn't do 18 months ago. And now I am making brave steps to learn a foreign language and complete my degree abroad - I am problem solving and being potent. I don't care so much for the things that go wrong anymore, I tend to to keep going on and slowly make my way through without huge angst worry and dread. So that's very nice indeed. And though I hate to say it and never thought i would say such a thing, ''thank you Citalopram". It has not been ideal. A few side effects. But I tend to be less worried about such things and get on with life instead now. 
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing! It's great to see and feel your positive energy! 

Good luck on the degree

Liz xx

• Posted

HI Elizabeth,

Its nothing to be ashamed of, everybody needs a little help at some ponit in thier lives.

I have been on Cit for 3 months. I suffered from anxiety and depression and was in a really bad place. I started on 10mgs then 1 week later increased to 20mg. I went through all the usual side effects but most have subsided. The worst ones for me were the sleepless nights and nausea. My depression has almost completely gone and my anxiety has dramatically reduced since when I first started taking Cit. It still lingers about and hits me now and then, but i have found helpfult tips and suggestion in dealing with it. 

A lot of encouragement and support on this forum is amazing. Its good to know that we are not alone.

All I can say is hang in there its definitely worth the wait, as each day goes by it gets better. Persevere and it will pay off. 

Hope this helps

Take care and good luck.

Regards 

Marcelsmile

• Posted

I found that at first they made me feel worse, then after about a month I was back to base level and after that it was gradual improvement until about 3 months, after which I got my life back. No depression, no anxiety and vastly improved sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.