someone get stricture urethra ? dialation progress ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

can someone tell me how ur day after dialation stopped ? are your STRICTURE back ? if back because what ? and are self dialation its best choice ??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Donomar12,

I might be able to help you. I had a stricture in my prostatic urethra which I resolved with a little input from my uro, but mostly on my own. I stopped working on it about 3 months ago and this morning decided to check if he stricture had returned or whether it was still clear. I do this by trying to pass an Fr-18 straight catheter using this as a kind of gauge. Well, good news! It passed down my urethra all the way to my bladder sphincter with absolutely no resistance. Here I had to wait about 6 seconds for the sphincter to relax enough to admit the larger catheter. I would call this 100 % successful!

Some background information. I suffer from urinary retention and I do 3 CIC sessions per day using Fr-16 straight hydrophilic catheters (Cure). My Uro suggested that because the stricture was caused by scar tissue there was a good chance that it could be fixed, and he was right.

I adjusted my daily catheter sessions slightly so that the early afternoon one was changed from the Fr-16 catheter I had been using to the larger Fr-18 which would act as a "stretcher". I had to start with an Fr-8 and gradually increase this in size until the Fr-18 could be inserted. I then discontinued this and returned to the three Fr-16 catheter 3 times per day which is where I am now.

I believe that the success of this exercise, lasting for approximately 1 year, was due entirely to the fact that the original injury which caused the scarring was man-made. Had this been due to natural causes then the outcome might have been total failure. With this in mind I can not guarantee success in your particular case. I would advise you to proceed with due caution. I must also point out that I am not a doctor.

In closing I must clarify that my urinary retention is in no way due to my urethral stricture.

I wish you luck and hope the foregoing is of some use to you. Warm regards, alan86734

• Posted

i hope that long term, because 3 month its to short to know ur treatment success or no .

• Posted

My primary objective is to keep the retained urine from accumulating. There will be more checks at 3 month intervals. I'll keep everyone posted.

Warm regards. alan86734.

• Posted

i do self dilating every 4-6 days woth a Fr 14. i only pit it in about an 1"-2" then pull it out. sometimes its quick and easy and sometimes it takes a little longer depending on how much my stricture closed. i have honestly mever noticed a big change in urine flow except for the forst day or so after. i originally had a hypospadia surgery when i was super young and struggled woth scar tissue ever since. it came to a point where i couldnt urinate at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.