Someone has helped me tremendously!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to thank the person who recommended the use of Emu Oil.  I am 72 and was FINALLY diagnosed with LS 9 years ago.  I was given Clobetasol to use but no other information or instructions.  Thankfully, that worked until I was taken off my estrogen patches due to a family history of strokes.  As time went on, my body took a downward turn without the estrogen and the itching became terrible. The Clob was not helping. I found a Vulvu Clinic which is three hours away.  I was willing to go but needed a referral.  I located a surgeon who does gyn and minimal invasion surgery.  This new doctor did give me the referral, but I have yet to use it!  Here are the steps I have taken that have changed everything for me:  I ordered squeeze bottles and filled them with just water.  After every bathroom visit, I do not wipe but squirt myself, then pat dry.  I then rub in the Emu oil.  Keeping urine off will certainly help.  The surgeon suggested that I use only unscented body soap, such as Vanicream soap, and that is what I use.  That was ordered from Amazon, as was the Emu oil.  I only wear cotton underwear.  I use detergents free of scents or additives.  I purchase Tide and do the same for the fabric softener.  I was told to no longer wash my hair in the shower.  This keeps all hair chemicals off the Vulva.  I wash my hair in the kitchen sink but use a filter to prevent hair from getting the sink clogged.  Yes, it is a nuisance to make these changes, but for over nine months LS isn't controlling my life.  I still use the Clob, usually twice a week, but sometimes go longer.  I am very thankful for the help and hope it continues to work.  The Emu has made a world of difference in healing the small tears as well.  I am sold on it!  I feel I should at least tell you what has helped me and to thank the person who started me in the right direction.  I wish you all the best!

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee,

glad things have calmed down for you.  I think for some of use post meno there is definitely a hormone link, especially since stopping your hormone.  I tried emu oil but in the end I bought Yes moisturiser, I hadn't caused any side affects as yet.  It's funny how I used to use pads as I suffer with bladder weakness but stopped when I got LS and th difference of just cotton pants and no pants at night has made a lot of difference.  I just used the pads for years and who knows it may of caused me to get L S.  I have a choice to use vagifem but I'm so frightened of using it in case it causes soreness as our skin is so thin isn't it so to itch there doesn't bear thinking about.  Have you every used vagifem or equivalent?    Did you have a lot of red sore skin has it gone less red now? X

• Posted

I mentioned it last year on this Blog....Emu Oil is the only thing that helps me keep things under control.  I don't use the extra strength version as I have read folks having trouble with it so I stay with the regular strengt.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Well, Janice, I am so thankful for your suggestion.  I order what's called "Purple Emu - Pure Refined Emu Oil".  It doesn't say anything about the strength.  I just know I am sooooo glad to have it.  My earlier post was my first and I am just now getting use to the site.  Is there a way I can find your original post re Emu?  Would be interested in knowing why I chose to follow your suggestions instead of others.  I simply can't remember.   Thanks, again and again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.