Someone please advise

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi approx. 4 weeks ago I was treated with penicillin for a strep throat. I was also taking regular paracetamol. I got to day 5 and had horrendous abdo pain and loose stools. Whiche dstopped as soon as I stopped all medication. 4 weeks on my bowel returned to normal a few days after. However within the last week I have developed upper right abdo tenderness and my skin is a little sensitive / dry. No  rash. bowel moves every other day .. brown stools and urine output is fine. However I'm worried blind about the pain.. thinking its my liver and I'm worried I may have taken too many meds while I was unwell with strep throat. I would not have gone over the daily amount but I could have overlapped doses as I was drinking / sleeping / taking meds and that was it. Can you please advise.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, & antibiotics are one of the most common causes of drug induced liver injury.  Penicillin's are frequently noted for this.  The livertox site has a searchable database you can use to learn more about the specific med you were on. 

Most antibiotic related liver stress resolves quite well given a little time, so I'm betting you'll be back up to speed soon.  You might want to tell your doc to add penicillin to your allergies in your chart to avoid this happening again.  Some new blood labs might be warranted to see just how angry your liver might be.

Hope you're feeling better soon!  

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Jane I'm sure that its probably a reaction to your input of pain meds and antibots, but to be honest I don't think its anything to be too worried about, I would suggest you make an appointment to see your GP, nothing worse than worrying about it without cause, make sure you keep well hydrated and see how it goes over the weekend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.