someone please clarify

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I recently read that ppi's can cause esop cancer (and also saw that on dr oz  -I thought they were suppossed to help block the acid that would cause cancer - so confused  - can someone please explain what they are talking about -I am getting seriously depressed!! The meds are working for me but i keep hearing so much negative stuff

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about cancer. But I know PPI are not supposed to be taken for a long time, recommended period is 6 weeks. They are not a 'cure', they're meant to allow your esophagus to heal. Many people take PPI for years over end out of ignorance.
    • Posted

PPI's can mask cancer symptoms. That is why they should be stopped a few weeks before an endoscopy. 

A doctor I know has been taking Nexium since it first came on the market and I've been taking it nearly as long.

• Posted

Thanks derek - your replies always make me feel better...for now, the meds have stopped my painful episodes at night that could last for hrs...and that I am thankful...I am not goggleing any more!
    • Posted

Doctors Google our symptoms and look up Wikipedia as well. 

Article about it in todays Daily Mail. 

My GP often explains things to paitents by going to a Wiki page.

• Posted

F*** the internet... Everything that is health related in google is cancer, in my opinion google itself is cancer...
    • Posted

agreed, I have promised my husband and children...no more google

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.