Someone please ease my worries?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in December last year my anxiety was at an all time high for a while, I finally went to the doctors because I had convinced myself that I had a brain tumour. She did a blood test to ease my worries and was told if anything was wrong I’d get a call and I didn’t. Today I went in to find out some results of something less important to be also told that The blood test I had back in December came back abnormal and I need it retaken. All I know is that on the blood test form it is requesting a test for FT4, TSH, T4 (thyroid) free T4. Obviously I don’t really get what it all means apart from the thyroid part. Now what I want to know is could this be the reason for my anxiety? Or could it be possible that my anxiety has caused this result? Obviously I am now panicking and really worrying about the next blood results.. Thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry your self unduly. Without going into specifics the tests ordered were Thyroid function tests (TFT), & are to check that your Thyroid is functioning properly. You could have either an over or under active Thyroid, which these test will give an indication of. From your anxiety I would think maybe your original test was on the over active side? I'm no doctor so can't say. 

Just rest easy that it doesn't point to a brain tumour & if you do have a Thyroid condition it can be corrected & monitored with the correct medication.

I too was over active having been diagnosed with Graves Disease, (having thought my shaky hands were due to something awful!!) A routine blood test disproved that & certainly eased my mind.

Take care

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thankyou Marilyn, you have put my mind at rest a little. Will keep this post updated x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.