SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my doctor has diagnosed me with anxiety and I have heart palpitations every now and then which I was on a 24 hour monitor and and event monitor so my first ER visit was about 2 weeks ago I felt my heart racing and I short of breath I went in and they found my potassium to be low and gave me some through IV, and after that I went to the er at least 4 times again with a feel of panic and heart racing and pounding and chest pain I'm honestly so desperate for answers they ran all test ekg echo everything okay, but these pains just worry me I need reassurance because doctors keep telling me it's anxiety and please let me know if there's something I can do to help maybe medication ? Thanks so much

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Gatorade, bananas, avacadoes all have a decent amount of potasium and are very good foods to ingest to keep your levels decent. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day as well. Saying that you sounf like you have bad anxiety. Do you have a cardiologist? Have you spoken with a counselor or a therapist? How old are you? Check you messages.
    • Posted

Yeah I have a cardiologist who has really said cause all of the ekg tests I have nothing to worry about, also I'm a 18 year old male I'm pretty fit not over weight what I don't understand is if it was anxiety attacks, I get these chest pains doing nothing at all
    • Posted

Hi....sorry to hear that this is happening to you. Go to your Dr. She they can refer you to someone that can help you....there's all kinda of medications.

• Posted

Do you have therapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?
  • Posted

Okay so your problem is exactly what happened to me. It started about a year ago I kept waking up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and going to the ER. They kept telling me my potassium was low, the lowest it got was 2.8 which was critical. They sent me home with supplements. It still kept dropping. I went to the cardiologist and they referred me to the kidney Doctor. He did a urine test and found I'm urinating out too much potassium and sodium. Everything else regarding my kidneys is normal. However I've been taking potassium supplements 3 times a day since then. The only conclusion they can think of is my severe anxiety and panic attacks are causing my potassium to come out. Please message me if you would like to talk about this. And you should definitely get in to see a kidney doctor, and get someone to prescribe supplements quickly.
    • Posted

Potassium is only something you suplliment with a doctors guidance. You can eat foods high in potassium. 
    • Posted

Yes i mean either after a renal evaluation or through the ER Doctor if the potassium continues to be low every time. That is when they gave me supplements.
    • Posted

Thanks a ton for this I have had all my test done for kidney function not a 24 test but that's what I was think was happening to me because my kidney function is normal and I felt like I was urinating all these things out before my body uses them thanks for your reply I'll be sure to bring this up!
  • Posted

see the dr and ask whether you can start on anxiety medication and if it doesn't contradict the other medication.

Richard

• Posted

Josh,

Anxiety and panic attacks are scary.  They often send people to he ER thinking they are having a heart attack. Please try to get some emotional help from a therapist or pyschiatrist.  Ask your doctor for a referrel.  Don't hesitate until it gets worse.  Medication and put you on the right trick.  Lots of luck.  Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.